Author Topic: Serious Question -----  (Read 1546 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Serious Question -----
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
 -----but it did cause a chuckle when I asked a friend.

My car is not yet two years old,  I get a static shock when I've got out of it and touch my door to close it!
I've started using a handkerchief so I don't come into contact with it.

I mentioned it to one very dear elderly gentleman freind - his first response was

Do you wear Bri-nylon Panties  :-?  :-?  :-?

Pardon  :))  :))  :))

Two questions here actually - do they still make Bri-Nylon Panties and WHY does it do this???

Do you think it's because of my wonky finger   :)) :))

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

kromercap

• View Profile
Re: Serious Question -----
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
-----but it did cause a chuckle when I asked a friend.

My car is not yet two years old,  I get a static shock when I've got out of it and touch my door to close it!
I've started using a handkerchief so I don't come into contact with it.

I mentioned it to one very dear elderly gentleman freind - his first response was

Do you wear Bri-nylon Panties  :-?  :-?  :-?

Pardon  :))  :))  :))

Two questions here actually - do they still make Bri-Nylon Panties and WHY does it do this???

Do you think it's because of my wonky finger   :)) :))

Serious answers then...

No, they don't make Bri-Nylon anymore. It was simply the trade name of particular mix of nylon fibres used for making horribly scratchy "non-iron" shirts, and as you say women's undergarments.
Nylon itself is still made, obviously, but not under that name.

As for the static electric thing, well for all the amazing things science can explain, that isn't one of them.
It has a name, Triboelectric Charging. But just because they gave it a name doesn't mean they know how it works.
It's something to do with the transfer of electrons from one material to another, but the finest physics brains on the planet still have not got a proper explanation for how or why.
One thing that is known, is that the effect is much more pronounced in materials that are good insulators. Nylon is an excellent insulator, and so the old type nylon clothing got a reputation or giving everyone a "belt" at every opportunity.
In a modern car it's much more likely the seat covers are the cause of the charging, not your underwear.

One way to avoid the effect is to wear clothing made entirely from tinfoil, or a good suit of armour, and to touch the lightening conductor on the local church steeple (with your wonky finger, if necessary) before you shut the car door.
Hope that helps... ;)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
You can buy anti static straps you hang from your rear bumpers.
Just an example from ebay, you can get them much cheaper, or make your own  (y)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Black-Anti-static-Strap-Ground-Wire-Earth-Belt-/112487424681?hash=item1a30c5e2a9:g:iaMAAOSwSTFZb1Hg

Welcome aboard kromercap  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:40:35 PM »

Rear bumpers  :-? :-? :-?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Black-Anti-static-Strap-Ground-Wire-Earth-Belt-/112487424681?hash=item1a30c5e2a9:g:iaMAAOSwSTFZb1Hg

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »
Serious answers then...

No, they don't make Bri-Nylon anymore. It was simply the trade name of particular mix of nylon fibres used for making horribly scratchy "non-iron" shirts, and as you say women's undergarments.
Nylon itself is still made, obviously, but not under that name.

As for the static electric thing, well for all the amazing things science can explain, that isn't one of them.
It has a name, Triboelectric Charging. But just because they gave it a name doesn't mean they know how it works.
It's something to do with the transfer of electrons from one material to another, but the finest physics brains on the planet still have not got a proper explanation for how or why.
One thing that is known, is that the effect is much more pronounced in materials that are good insulators. Nylon is an excellent insulator, and so the old type nylon clothing got a reputation or giving everyone a "belt" at every opportunity.
In a modern car it's much more likely the seat covers are the cause of the charging, not your underwear.

One way to avoid the effect is to wear clothing made entirely from tinfoil, or a good suit of armour, and to touch the lightening conductor on the local church steeple (with your wonky finger, if necessary) before you shut the car door.
Hope that helps... ;)

Welcome to the forum Kromercap - thanks for your enjoyable reply.  :))

The seat covers may be a possibility as they were much cheaper than we mostly buy - but why is it only me that gets the shock?

I've actually started stuffing a hanky down my bra  :-? ( it's a bit embarrassing fishing it out  :-[  ) and I use it to shut my door - get some strange looks I can tell you !!  :o :-?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »

Thanks fly, I've had a look at those - is that what they are actually for as I thought it was something to do with lightening? It only seems to affect me?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »
It seems to happen to Our_lass a lot too, but very rarely affects me.
Some people just seem to attract static electric.
My grandad couldn't wear watches with batteries in them. They always used to stop within hours. Strange eh ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
Puzzled really - I only ever had one car that gave me static shocks and that was a Mk 2 Vauxhall Astra Estate, so therefore my deduction is that IF this is the first car you have had the problem with in terms of shocks - then maybe its the car?!?!
Rubber shoe soles should help so next time I see you wearing "Wellies", I'll understand :P
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
Kromercap - I've actually had to discount the possibility of the car seat covers as I noticed yesterday we had taken them off - I'd forgotten that ! Old age and poverty is the reason for my forgetfulness I think !  :(

Fly in my younger years I couldn't wear a wrist watch as they wouldn't go, I had a watch on a pendant around my neck. I can wear them now though??

Scimitar, it is the first car I've had which has done this, and my shoe's are generally rubber soles - but not wellies so thanks for the tip - I might try those.

Note to people on here  - if you spot an old lady with a Wonky finger sporting wellies in town - it will most likely be me!  :))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk