Author Topic: Boris!!  (Read 10993 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Boris!!
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
As most people on the other forum knew, I very rarely get into discussions about politics, as everyone knows, your views, liberal or otherwise, will no doubt offend someone so you can't win, in other words your damned if you do and damned if you don't but in the case of Boris v's the burka that's in the news I can actually see where he's coming from. He, I believe, is just saying what most people are thinking and is being pilloried for it. Don't get me wrong I'm far from being a fan of Boris's {or any politician for that matter} but I believe he has a point.

First of all the "letter box" and "bank robber" remarks are not aimed at the burka {as reported in the media} I believe he is referring to, or SHOULD be referring to, women wearing the niqab. Although both closely resemble one another the burka covers the eyes with a mesh type cloth that the ladies look, or more likely squint, through, the niqab leaves the eyes uncovered. If I were to walk into a bank or say air terminal wearing a crash helmet and I refused to take it off how far do you think I'd get, yet this is no different, apart from the fact they seem to be under protection from a religious point of view so therefore they are more or less untouchable. A couple of years ago I was at traffic lights in Derby and a school of motoring car came out of a side street and passed me, the "learner" was wearing a niqab and I watched as she negotiated that tight turn, talk about tunnel vision you could see she had limited vision to see anything so had to keep turning her head, her peripheral vision would be almost nil so god help anyone in her blind spot. 

These woman I suspect would dearly love to stroll about in western clothes if given the chance but most say I dress like this for my religion but I think they are still in a society were the men make [all] the decisions and this could be seen as being oppressed.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Boris!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »
As most people on the other forum knew, I very rarely get into discussions about politics, as everyone knows, your views, liberal or otherwise, will no doubt offend someone so you can't win, in other words your damned if you do and damned if you don't but in the case of Boris v's the burka that's in the news I can actually see where he's coming from. He, I believe, is just saying what most people are thinking and is being pilloried for it. Don't get me wrong I'm far from being a fan of Boris's {or any politician for that matter} but I believe he has a point.

First of all the "letter box" and "bank robber" remarks are not aimed at the burka {as reported in the media} I believe he is referring to, or SHOULD be referring to, women wearing the niqab. Although both closely resemble one another the burka covers the eyes with a mesh type cloth that the ladies look, or more likely squint, through, the niqab leaves the eyes uncovered. If I were to walk into a bank or say air terminal wearing a crash helmet and I refused to take it off how far do you think I'd get, yet this is no different, apart from the fact they seem to be under protection from a religious point of view so therefore they are more or less untouchable. A couple of years ago I was at traffic lights in Derby and a school of motoring car came out of a side street and passed me, the "learner" was wearing a niqab and I watched as she negotiated that tight turn, talk about tunnel vision you could see she had limited vision to see anything so had to keep turning her head, her peripheral vision would be almost nil so god help anyone in her blind spot. 

These woman I suspect would dearly love to stroll about in western clothes if given the chance but most say I dress like this for my religion but I think they are still in a society were the men make [all] the decisions and this could be seen as being oppressed.
To be honest, I completely agree with everything you've said. It's a shame integration is seen as "not available" for these women in a western civilization. I'm a firm believer that you live by the country's law that you live in. Yet we seem to be firmly in favour of the "I'm offended" crew. Free speech and opinions should'nt be castigated for no reason. Fair enough - it's Boris and he maybe should have thought better before opening his mouth - but that's his problem now!
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »
I watched with interest in a Dubai hotel when a family came in for breakfast.
The children were dressed as our children would be whilst parents wore their countries clothing.
It was the lady I was interested in as I wondered what she would do  with her head coverings - no mouthpiece.
Simple - she just took it off.

I disagree with what Boris said, they are remarks that I wouldn't expect to hear from a person of his standing - if he's not careful he may not be standing for long!

As for security as in airports etc - I totally agree that they should come off!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
This family you observed O.C. obviously a liberal minded family judging by the way the parents dressed their children and the way the lady removed her veil {in public} unfortunately as many people know not every family, from a similar background to the couple, have those choices. I believe those may have been the very ones Boris was having a "dig" at.
This is probably why we are in the mess were in politically, as no one seems to be able to speak their minds they just tow the party line and end up keeping their true feelings to themselves as they don't want to lose a cushy job, Boris on the other hand has nothing to lose by "speaking out" although I don't believe it was all that bad.
Ask yourself a question {Boris aside} if you were put on the spot and asked to describe someone wearing a niqab  be honest what's the first image to pop into your head, I would reply "They look like they're about to rob a bank" this is a perfectly short to the point descriptive phrase, especially if you are talking to someone who has never seen anyone wearing a niqab.

We are so afraid of upsetting certain people in our society that we have lost sight of the fact that Britain is a fairly tolerant country and people are "invited" to live with us and obey our laws, not bring their countries {outdated} ideologies with them and try to foist them on others.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
This family you observed O.C. obviously a liberal minded family judging by the way the parents dressed their children and the way the lady removed her veil {in public} unfortunately as many people know not every family, from a similar background to the couple, have those choices. I believe those may have been the very ones Boris was having a "dig" at.
This is probably why we are in the mess were in politically, as no one seems to be able to speak their minds they just tow the party line and end up keeping their true feelings to themselves as they don't want to lose a cushy job, Boris on the other hand has nothing to lose by "speaking out" although I don't believe it was all that bad.
Ask yourself a question {Boris aside} if you were put on the spot and asked to describe someone wearing a niqab  be honest what's the first image to pop into your head, I would reply "They look like they're about to rob a bank" this is a perfectly short to the point descriptive phrase, especially if you are talking to someone who has never seen anyone wearing a niqab.

We are so afraid of upsetting certain people in our society that we have lost sight of the fact that Britain is a fairly tolerant country and people are "invited" to live with us and obey our laws, not bring their countries {outdated} ideologies with them and try to foist them on others.

My answer would be they are wearing a face covering.
I'm a live and let live person and respect how other cultures choose to live but would agree we shouldn't be expected to change our cultural way of living.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:04 PM »
Watching 'The Last Leg'. Plenty of comments for and against Boris lol  (y)

Me personally, not a problem with his comment.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
I am not offended by his comments but then again I don't wear these face coverings.
I just think from someone who held a high position in the UK he should know better, it's a silly comment to make.

There are other words - Golliwog - it's a young child's doll!!
I had one.
My daughter had one - it was always a stuffed toy, then some person decides it's racist.
I had a twin pram as a child.
In it I pushed two dolls - one white one black - so what ?

Stupidity has gained control of the world

Anyone who thinks it's racist have a racist problem I think -

In answer to scimitar you are right in respect of living by a countries law.
I mentioned Dubai - if a person goes there from the UK and steals - they may well have a finger or hand chopped off.

We should respect each others law and cultural living.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »
I see b*nking Boris is in the news again {front page of the Mirror today and on T.V.} again for all the wrong reasons.
As I have said I don't like him BUT the bottom line is.....

He, like the vast majority of red blooded males in this country, likes women, and when it comes to women he keeps his brains in his underpants. He is not what you would call overly good looking and he definitely hasn't got the physique of a Greek god but I cannot but help feel a certain amount of grudging admiration towards him.
If these women want to throw themselves at him {for whatever reason} I could not find it in me to chastise him for it. It is just unfortunate that he is a person who is constantly in the public gaze, his whole life, especially as an M.P. is constantly under the microscope.
 Infidelity in marriage is nothing new it's as old as time itself, if there were no infidelity in marriage then "The oldest profession" would not exist, there would be no "gold diggers" and lawyers would starve. What's taken his wife so long to start divorce proceedings he's obviously a serial philanderer dating back many years.

As I say I won't chastise him as I can walk round my estate and look at houses that contain an unmarried female and two or three young kids {usually each having a different father} what my tax dollars are helping keep' those are the ones that get my dander up... not Boris!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 05:34:18 PM »
He's an idiot. On a downward spiral.
He needs to engage brain before opening mouth!
As you say - like Trump in many ways.
He isn't PM material at all - what was the saying in the war ( not that I was around but a mere Twinkle in my fathers eye  ;) ) Loose tongues costs lives - or something like that ---

I agree about his infidelity, the woman knows he's married or maybe married herself - he is no worse than the women he's had.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
I believe the phrase you are looking for is "Loose lips sink ships"

Also in Boris's case "It takes two to tango"

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »

She was close lol :P
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »

Also in Boris's case "It takes two to tango"

oopppsss sorry maybe you are older than me and can remember   :-*  :))

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
As it turns out I was a bit of a pub quiz buff and wrote pub quizzes as well at one time. It's amazing the amount of info swirls round your noggin when you've done a couple of dozen of those.

As for my age well that was brought home to me only today. My youngest granddaughter {6} mentioned they had had a lesson at school about how the Great fire of London started and before she told me she said it had happened "When you were little granddad"
I thought for a horrible minute she was going to accuse me of starting it.....kids eh!

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »
"When you were little granddad"

The innocence of children eh  (y) C:-) :)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
As it turns out I was a bit of a pub quiz buff and wrote pub quizzes as well at one time. It's amazing the amount of info swirls round your noggin when you've done a couple of dozen of those.

As for my age well that was brought home to me only today. My youngest granddaughter {6} mentioned they had had a lesson at school about how the Great fire of London started and before she told me she said it had happened "When you were little granddad"
I thought for a horrible minute she was going to accuse me of starting it.....kids eh!

:)) I didn't really think you were older than me - not many old farts around older than me these days  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk