Author Topic: TP Wood  (Read 3616 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
TP Wood
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
TP Woods premises on Knifesmithgate - lately part of the Co-op until the Co-op closed. Anyone got any info on Wood, he seems to be hard to track down except for his business and the fact he was once mayor. Modern shot shows same premises nowadays
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Lottie79

• View Profile
Re: TP Wood
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
Thomas Philpot Wood (jnr) was born in 1840, the only son of Thomas Philpot Wood (snr). The father had started a wine and spirit business which Thomas continued after his father's  death. In 1841 the family are registered living on Soresby Street. Thomas studied at the Grammar School before joining the family firm. Sometime between 1871 and 1881 he bought Brambling House (now St Peter & St Paul's School). He never married but spent much of his life as a benefactor to the town. He initiated the purchase of the land for Queen's Park to mark the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria's coronation. He donated £500 of his own money for this (a vast amount at the time - the Duke of Devonshire donated £200). In recognition of his work Alderman Wood was made Freeman on the Borough. The money set aside to present him with a silver casket was instead used for the original bandstand at his request. Wood went on to campaign for the land for the Annexe in memoriam of Queen Victoria's death in 1901. Wood died in 1911 leaving a vast fortune.

Yes I am researching T P Wood!!! He did many other things during his time as mayor and as councillor but I didn't want to bore you too much!

Regards

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Lotttie - and thanks for your input on TP Wood.

Don't worry, you'll never bore me too much learning about this man and his role in our town.

:)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
Hi Lottie, welcome to chesterfieldonline  :)  (y)

Anyway, had a thought today regarding the buildings above. The other week surveyors were doing work around the whole Coop buildings, sure there's a thread on here somewhere. Point being, if they flattened the whole lot to rebuild, 'and', brought the old TP Woods building closer to the curb, it's quite wide at that point, the artics that deliver to M&S wouldn't be able to reverse into the loading bay. They need the pavement width available on both sides of the road.
Trivial, but wondered if anybody at M&S have considered it  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

DrGriffin1933

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
Hi all,I remember TP Woods in the town centre, I also remember TP Woods Almanac that was published each year too. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk