Author Topic: Nuisance Calls  (Read 2258 times)

Umpire

• View Profile
Nuisance Calls
« on: January 16, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
Does anyone get as many nuisance calls as we do.Out of area calls ,private callers  you name it we get it.Take this morning for instance we had five out of area calls the first one at 7.55am.
Normally  we don't pick up  but the first one really annoyed me and  I gave him a right mouthful.So I decided to pick the others up all were Asian sounding and I suspect from the same place.I didn't give them chance to say what they wanted because I laid into them and they put the phone down every time.
 I would have thought in this day and age the telephone companies should be able to stop them.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Nuisance Calls
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
The best I can suggest is to sign up with the TPS if you haven't already.
We got a noticeable drop in the amount of 'spam' calls after about 6 months  (y)

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:00:17 PM »
I have been registered  for at least ten years but when the call registers  as private caller or out of area what could they do?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
out of area

Oops, I missed that bit  :(
And 'yes'. You think the telephone providers would have the ability to block any number you ask them too !!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:52:32 PM »
Another five today.I picked up on the last one and waited till he spoke(I never speak first).I asked the Asian sounding man why he was ringing me and to my astonishment he said no reason.I said then why are you ringing me then.He muttered something  before I put the phone down.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
Get a phone with a 'block' option any that filter through the TPS you can block the number once you realise it's a Nuisance call.
Doesn't stop them from altering the number they are calling from though.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »
We get round it by not having a phone plugged in!!  ;D Our phone line is only their for broadband and we just use our mobiles as our contact numbers which allow us to avoid nuisance calls much easier.

That said the signal isnt great for either of us on two different networks where we are and is now worse in the new parts of the house we've just had built apparently due to the insulation used which has foil on either side. This means we are probably going to have to get a phone on the line now but if we do I will do what my mum and dad have done and get one with Caller ID adding the numbers we are happy with and make it easier to avoid ones we dont want.

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »
We have caller display  but if the display comes up out of area or private caller how can TPS stop them.When we have dental appointments they ring up the day before  and that is  shown as private  caller but we are expecting them to ring so we pick up.
Many of our friends are ex directory so  they now ring and after a couple of rings put the phone down and then ring again so we know to pick up.
At last today not one call but I am sure it is only temporary.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
I had one a while ago and I left the phone on answer machine even though sat at the side of it.
My answer machine begins with ---- if you are a cold caller -- sod off !  ::)

The chap calling waited until the record came on - then started singing ?????  :))

That's the first time they have ever made me laugh
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
8am yesterday another Asian .Its a wonder  the phone line didn't explode.The language was somewhat blue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk