Author Topic: Cycle Race June 10th  (Read 3484 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Cycle Race June 10th
« on: June 01, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
This is worth keeping in mind if you are out and about on these dates - June 3rd and 10th.

The world's top women cyclists will race through Derbyshire on Saturday 10 June 2017, starting in Chesterfield and taking in many of the county's best-known market towns and landmarks before returning to Chesterfield for the finish.

The race starts at 10.30am in Chesterfield and the estimated times of arrival (ETAs) for the major towns are:

Wirksworth 11.15am
Belper 11.55am
Tibshelf 12.30pm
Bolsover 12.50pm
Staveley 1pm
Chesterfield 1.50pm.
Race highlights include:

Queen of the Mountains:
Middleton Top, 11.25am
Crich, 12.20pm
Sprints:
Belper, noon
Staveley, 1.30pm.

The women's cycle network, Breeze, is organising a mini-tour of Chesterfield on Saturday 3 June 2017, leaving outside the Town Hall, Rose Hill at 10am. The course is five miles long and is suitable for women riders of all abilities.

Councillor Spencer added:

"I'm really pleased we've been able to bring the Women's Tour to Derbyshire again. Thousands of people turned out to watch last year's race and this year's promises to be even bigger and better."

Councillor Amanda Serjeant, Chesterfield Borough Council's deputy leader, said:

"The Women's Tour is set to be a fantastic event and we're encouraging people to come along and cheer the riders as well as take part in the activities in Chesterfield town centre.

"It will be a great opportunity for families to have fun together, see their cycling heroes and find out more about cycling and fitness for themselves."
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

bransoj

• View Profile
Re: Cycle Race June 10th
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
10th should be a cracking day and i've been noticing signs out warning folk about it all for a while now but no doubt some folk will still moan when they get held up.

Unfortunately i'm playing cricket that day but will watch the TV coverage where i can and the highlights later on. In a bit of good timing the in laws have just moved in Wingerworth and it will now be going past the end of their drive. Think my other half and the rest of the family will be going round to have a bit of a do and watch them go past.

Great that the town is getting big events like this...it was one thing to have the end of a stage last year but getting the start and finish of a stage is big and doesnt happen very often in these sorts of races. Hopefully the weather will play ball and the crowds will be out in force.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:19:41 PM »
Thankfully for me and her, 10th is a Saturday, so we won't be at work or even be in town. Also hope the weather is nice, don't want it to rain and spoil anyone's day (y)  :)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
They are riding through our village so may cheer them on.  (y)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
They are riding through our town, about the same time we're usually doing the weekly shopping. Might have a lie in  :)) >; (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »
I can see it causing some fun and games for some local cricket sides. Quite a few along the route with players not aware of whats happening. I warned a mate who plays for Morton as its going straight past their ground about the same sort of time they will be arriving etc. I'm playing at Ashover so should be fine for getting there without to much issue.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »
Many will be put out by the event bransoj, even though there are signs around and large enough to see. The best way is for organisers to let teams know so they can set out early enough.
Good luck with your match  :)

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
There have been signs up for a while now and lots of publicising of the event so folk should be aware whats happening and if they moan about being put out they are idiots.

Not really for the league to be telling folk about it as it covers such a large area that less teams will be affected than wont so its down to teams to be on top of it. We shall see what happens but i can see some clubs being oblivious to it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
I agree the clubs shouldn't need to inform people, for some reason some don't seem to. bother reading the signs which are put up! If the matches are disrupted so be it.
Maybe if they changed the colour of the signs people would take more notice -  ::)

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
From the official race website.

Women’s Tour in Chesterfield – Road Closure Information

For the majority of the race, a rolling road closure is in place, meaning the roads on and around the route will only be closed for the short period in which it takes for the race to pass by – usually around 15 minutes around the estimated time of arrival.

Can't see it being too much of a problem for long (y)

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
Yep it will probably be only roads right in the town centre where the start and finish are that will be closed for a longer period. As it mentions for the rest of it they will just let the bikes get past then its all go again. Only way it may get a bit longer is if the racers gets spread out as sometimes happens but thats more likely in the later stages of the race to be honest.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
Who has paid for the Pink Cycles which are around Chesterfield?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
Who has paid for the Pink Cycles which are around Chesterfield?

Probably by the sponsors.
Though I found this http://www.chesterfield.co.uk/events/womens-tour-bike-trail/

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »
Great idea to involve the children Fly  (y)
It's given heavy rain for Saturday - think I'll give going to watch them a miss  ::)

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
I thought there was live TV coverage of the race but seems thats not the case. Will have to wait for the highlights at 8pm on ITV4 to see them going past in the rain. Weather probably does mean that most of the local cricket will be off so players wont get caught out travelling to games!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk