Author Topic: DVLA rip off  (Read 2875 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
DVLA rip off
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
I recently changed my car (26th February to be precise), therefore I needed to tax the new car and get a refund on the old one.

I not only ended up paying for the whole of February on the new car, I only got a refund for any complete months on the new one!

Whilst I understand that it would be a difficult task in the 'olden days' of returning the old paper tax disc to the DVLA etc, but nowadays when it's all done by computer (very often at the point of sale - eg dealers desk!) it is wholly possible to calculate down to the day.

Seems like a(nother) money making exercise for the government.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: DVLA rip off
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
We live in a rip off world, if the government is willing to stitch you up what chance have you against anyone else.
It's the same with me and my new car insurance policy {I got it on line} I've rung a couple of times and to date the calls have cost me just over £13 for a total of about 15 minutes I kid you not, and I don't think I'm done yet.
It's the same with almost anything, we booked a holiday that we had seen on line a few years ago, when we rang the company to book it the number wasn't premium rate and it was answered within 3 rings and we booked and paid for the holiday in a "resort" the girl on the other end said was lovely, we subsequently found out from others that where we had picked made the black hole of Calcutta look like Disneyland, so I rang to change the destination { and hand out a bo**ocking}, I tried twice on my own {mobile} phone and just  listened to music so one day I was so frustrated I used the works phone {I'm not proud of that} and left that line on speaker determined to speak to someone, it was finally answered after 55 minutes and I believe it was a premium line.
These companies only aim in life is to squeeze as much dosh out of you as they possibly can, whenever they can by whatever means they have at their disposal and phone lines are a cash cow for them.
This time with the car insurance, I was determined to go back to a high street insurance broker and scrap on line quotes, but because of being messed about on line till the 11th hour, it was too late to get any more high street quotes so I had to go with them again but I'll be ready come time to renew.

I think it's about time to reverse the trend. Switch off the shopping side of computers and start re vitalising our high streets before it's too late, for those that say they can't find the time to go to shops and businesses my answer is yes, yes you can always find the time if you need to. Visit a REAL establishment, talk to a REAL person, if you do need to contact them by phone for any reason it's a LOCAL number.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:23:15 PM »
In relation to car insurance.... I've been using "Spire Insurance"(near to railway station)  for years. They always do their best to give me a good deal, & always manage to beat online comparison sites. This year they sent me my renewal price, but when i went to the office , they got it down another £40 without me even asking.  Like most people, i thought that insurance companies did't give anything for loyalty, but these people really do make an effort to keep your custom !
It's also better to deal with someone this way, than someone in a call centre !

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:01:08 AM »
So if you hadn't got in touch with them, they were happy to charge you the other £40 quid !!

Loyalty ?  :o
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:09:06 AM »
So if you hadn't got in touch with them, they were happy to charge you the other £40 quid !!

Loyalty ?  :o

They don't automatically renew it,  i always go to their office to sort it !

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »
Loyalty bonuses only seem to get included if you contact them to get involved. I used to be with More Than and once i rang up to say i was leaving as a completely new customer quote was massively lower than my renewal and i could beat it just by a quick search on a comparison site. All of a sudden it came down quite a bit when they said i qualified for a loyalty bonus for staying. I queried why this wasnt included on the renewal as that would be me staying as well and he bumbled through a completely nonsensical reply. In the end i stayed with them as it was about the same as most of the other quotes and i couldnt be bothered messing about changing companies. Following year i left as their renewal was nonsense and they couldnt get close to any other companies.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »
We had to cancel Our_Lass's insurance after her seizure and she surrendered her licence. I was a named driver only.
The policy was only 3 months in at the time but we only got £75 back(about a 3rd of the cost). Because it was an online only policy, there was noone to phone and try to sort a deal to get it in my name.
I re insured the car in my name only with a different company.  :(
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
In relation to car insurance.... I've been using "Spire Insurance"(near to railway station)  for years. They always do their best to give me a good deal, & always manage to beat online comparison sites. This year they sent me my renewal price, but when i went to the office , they got it down another £40 without me even asking.  Like most people, i thought that insurance companies did't give anything for loyalty, but these people really do make an effort to keep your custom !
It's also better to deal with someone this way, than someone in a call centre !

It's like I always say, if your ready to pay the first price they quote they are not going to argue. As on another post, with my home contents insurance I got rid of a certain company a couple of years ago because of the stupid price hike, I went back to them end of last year because the new quote they sent me was a third of their last quote so instead of paying well over £100 I got it for £38. I did remark on this on the Trustpilot reviews site and put in my review "Why didn't you offer me this when I was a customer" still waiting for an answer.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »
BTW Alastian, yes it is a rip off by the DVLA  :o

Haslander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
I have this conversation with our various insurers, asking the question " If you can reduce my renewal premium now, when I ring you to advise that I am not renewing, why not quote the reduced renewal premium in the first place?" 
Cue bullshit explanations.  >;
Stupidity is infinitely more fascinating that intelligence.
Intelligence has its limits while stupidity has none.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk