Author Topic: Great Ormond Street Hospital vs Charlie Gard  (Read 2624 times)

hifimad

• View Profile
Great Ormond Street Hospital vs Charlie Gard
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »
I am watching with interest the Great Ormond Street Hospital vs the parents of Charlie Gard, and the question i would like answering is who is paying for this court case, i fear that ultimately it will be paid for by the charitable donations made by people to help sick children, the thing that strikes me is that if the hospital has to pay for this court case out of their tax payer grant then they will end up topping up their depleted government funds by using the charitable donations, surely this is not what the people who made donations had in mind when giving the money.

I am also minded by the Ashya King case where the parents removed Ashya from Southampton General Hospital to take him abroad to get a treatment the hospital said would not be applicable, however it was subsequently proved to be highly effective.

Finally anyone who has had any experience of the way that institutions work in this country will be aware that they will go to any lengths to justify their decisions right or wrong and be dammed the consequences, I worry that the professionals in this case could be blocking the alternative treatments offered by the American doctors as this would leave them with egg on their faces if  they were shown to be wrong,  I do hope it is the doctors making the decisions and not some administrator with a different  agenda.

White pride

• View Profile
Re: Great Ormond Street Hospital vs Charlie Gard
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »
Iv watched this case I'm not going to be popular here but the child's life not going to improve has much has we like it be best let him go than suffer .

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:28:20 AM »
Iv watched this case I'm not going to be popular here but the child's life not going to improve has much has we like it be best let him go than suffer .
If it is truly the case that the doctors are right then i would tend to agree with you, but the american doctors are equally confident they can give him a treatment with a good chance of improvement, my thoughts are where there is life there is hope, my fear is that they may be overiding the wishes of the parents just to prove themselves right, i have enough first hand knowledge of the behaviour of certain institutions to know that they are not always right.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
Money should never be a factor in any health decisions but it sadly is.

This child reminds me so much of another child I cared for in my work, extremely brain damaged and just lying in a bed or wheelchair for 10 years until they passed away - is that right? Would that child if having the decision to make their selves choose that life?

I too was thinking that if there is no brain activity what is the point?
Is it just for the parents, as they don't want to lose their child?

However if these parents are being told that there is hope even if it's not clear to the extent of recovery isn't it a normal parental wish to give their child every chance?

My own thoughts are now to wait until after this child has been assessed by this Dr from America and then make a decision.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »
Money should never be a factor in any health decisions but it sadly is.

This child reminds me so much of another child I cared for in my work, extremely brain damaged and just lying in a bed or wheelchair for 10 years until they passed away - is that right? Would that child if having the decision to make their selves choose that life?

I too was thinking that if there is no brain activity what is the point?
Is it just for the parents, as they don't want to lose their child?

However if these parents are being told that there is hope even if it's not clear to the extent of recovery isn't it a normal parental wish to give their child every chance?

My own thoughts are now to wait until after this child has been assessed by this Dr from America and then make a decision.
just to lighten things up a bit, lets hope this american Dr does not use United Airlines to come over here or he might need treatment himself.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
just to lighten things up a bit, lets hope this american Dr does not use United Airlines to come over here or he might need treatment himself.

Why is there a problem with this airline?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
Let's just say they have had some bad press recently  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
Let's just say they have had some bad press recently  ::)

????

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
Sorry OC  ;)
I like LMGTFY.com  :)

hifimad

• View Profile

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
Ok I remember the chap being dragged off the aircraft just didn't know it was was them also it appears they lost a dog ?  :-?

What about noisy children - would they lose them  ::) - just asking  :))

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
So today we learn that Charlies parents are preparing for his 'end of life'
Very sad and I have to admit it was upsetting news to watch today  :'(
However, I think it is the right decision but I'm not sure if they are blaming the courts for this as they say he has been left for 'too long'

I'm sure we all feel their pain at this time.  :'(

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »
So today we learn that Charlies parents are preparing for his 'end of life'
Very sad and I have to admit it was upsetting news to watch today  :'(
However, I think it is the right decision but I'm not sure if they are blaming the courts for this as they say he has been left for 'too long'

I'm sure we all feel their pain at this time.  :'(
I agree Pam OC - I hope they agree to their request to let him come home to die. Very sad indeed but he would not have any quality of life from all accounts :(
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk