Author Topic: Scotland - Should they stay or should they go?  (Read 2752 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Scotland - Should they stay or should they go?
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
Must admit I have no real opinion on Scottish independence - what are the advantages to the split on either side?

I did have a little laugh at the fall out between Cameron and Salmond, especially the story that Salmond would order the police not to oversee the actual voting. It looks like he is throwing the doll out of the pram...
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Scotland - Should they stay or should they go?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
Would be difficult for Labour to gain power in England & Wales

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
Not sure exactly what you mean Andy - would it not be advantageous to the Conservatives to let Scotland go?

I just don't get it.

k4blades

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
I don't have a strong view either but the more the Scottish go on about the idea, I think more English will support it. Though the Scots have their views on oil in particular, most agree that they do much better per head than the English, for example they get free prescriptions, we don't so if they went their own way, it would help redress that balance.

On the issue of politics, this is where Blair showed how short sighted he was in giving them their own Govt. It is totally unfair that Labour MPs from Scotland can vote for an issue in the commons, meaning we get subjected to the outcome, but then in Scotland, Labour vote against the issue meaning Scots get away with not being subjected to it. This is known as the West Lothian Question and raises one of the most unfairest issues in British Politics. But without Scottish MPs Labour would struggle to ever win again in England. If Scotland wants to rule itself, that is fine, but shouldn't the English have that same right instead of being ruled by the Scots.

Like I said, I don't have a strong view, but Labour will find themselves between a rock and a hard place on this.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
Thanks for that, but I still don't get it.  :(

Why wouldn't Cameron let them go if it "guaranteed" a permanent Tory government?

Must have my thick head on... again

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
Thanks for that, but I still don't get it.  :(

Why wouldn't Cameron let them go if it "guaranteed" a permanent Tory government?

Must have my thick head on... again

Not really got my head round that one. Do they still have oil?

k4blades

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
Many "traditional Tories" consider themselves Unionist, which also applies in N. Ireland. I don't fully understand the history behind it but imagine is similar to our old Empire, and over time our mighty Empire is gradually getting smaller and smaller, so they want to cling on to Scotland, as losing would be the end of the UK.
As a democrat, I find it hard to argue for self  governance, as many Tories do on the issue of Europe telling us what to do, but then don't want to apply it to Scotland.
If Scotland left the UK, it might not be great for our history and traditions, but I think it might be the fairest solution, and as I said before, the big loses politically would be Labour, yet it is they who started the ball rolling.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
This is the thanks that every tax payer in the whole of the UK gets for bailing out Royal Bank of Scotland, and Halifax Bank of Scotland when they were both in the shit. Talk about take the money and run thank you very much. I would suggest that they let Scotland go it alone, provided we get tax refunds however small for bailing the above Banks out of the mire, as Scotland is so sure that it can go on its own.
Furthermore, a succesion of Scottish politicians,in England, must hold some responsability for the current economic downturn.
Lets make sure that in future they never set foot in Westminster any more. Surely we can produce politicians from within.
Whilst we are at it, lets dump Jamaica, and any financial assistance we give to them. They dont want our Queen as sovereign anymore, so be it, Goodbye.
They will come crawling back when they are in trouble. Is scotland going to finance its own Army,Navy,air Force?
No, they will rely on us.
Give it to them straight I say, let them go, but forget help from the English taxpayer, because they say they are more profitable on their own.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »
Every body keeps going on about Scottish oil, look at the geography, the only reason people talk about is because it is piped to Scotland. Most of the platforms are in English water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk