Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 2996 times)

Umpire

• View Profile
Recycling
« on: March 04, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
Some months ago I left some small batteries in  a plastic  bag  tied to my blue bin  for recycling.When the binmen  came  one of them ripped the bag off the bin and just threw them straight into the bin.I rang the council and told them and they said they should be handed to the driver.I left it at that.
Today when they came I had some glass bottles  which I duly left in the insert provide on the pavement next to my blue bin.One of them promptly tipped them into my bin and then they were tipped into the waggon with all the rest.There is a blue bin attached to the waggon which all glass should  go into.I rang the council and they confirmed i  had  acted correctly.She promised to inform her manager. JI am a avid recycler but it makes you wonder whether its worth it.         

hifimad

• View Profile
Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:44:43 AM »
even better i am sure we have all heard of people being fined for dropping sometimes a cigarette end or a shopping reciept in the street, i have lost count of the times the bin men have been to collect the bins and strewn our street with rubbish ranging from used nappies to papers and even an old chicken carcass, i am more than aware that the council is prepared to turn a blind eye to their own rule breaking, and they will even go so far as to lie, ignore and cover up serious and violent crimes by their own employees.

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
I used to put glass at the side then watched each time as the black box was tipped into the blue bin which was then shoved in the truck. Since our black box got broken by them wedging it back in the bin i just chuck everything in the blue bin and be done with it.

Then dont get me started on how bins are left after they are done....when we used to be on Heaton Street it was almost impossible to walk down the pavement as bins were all over the place, you wouldnt have a chance with a pushchair or in a wheelchair then our bin was actually taken from outside our house, emptied and then left 30yds round the corner on Church Street! Now we've moved its not so much the pavement thats blocked but every few weeks i have to move the empty bin from blocking the drive when i get home.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 10:55:41 AM »
I no longer bother with the black box, because almost every time i put it out, i had to go looking for it.  It would either disappear completely, end up in someone elses bin, or be left on the pavement  about 30 yards  down the road. I must have ordered about 3 new ones from the council since they were introduced due to them not returning it to my bin !
I now put the glass in a strong bag & take them to sainsburys recycling bins if i know i'm going that way.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »
I'm fed up with them mishandling the black glass caddy and breaking it! I've had to order a replacement on several occasions and, the last time we had one delivered, the operative said they been put on overtime, as they had that many to replace!!!
Apart from the financial cost (which must be exorbitant) doesn't the fact that so many of them have to be replaced, fly in the face of the recycling ethos?
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
Some months ago I left some small batteries in  a plastic  bag  tied to my blue bin  for recycling.When the binmen  came  one of them ripped the bag off the bin and just threw them straight into the bin.I rang the council and told them and they said they should be handed to the driver.   

I noticed that last year. When I got my new year delivery schedule {until last year} it said " When disposing of batteries place them in a small plastic bag and drop into the small bin with the papers" for last year 2018/19 it amended it to "When disposing of batteries place them in a small plastic bag and tie it to the bin handle". I was on hand to see the operation one bin day in which I had tied the battery bag to the handle, the operative just ripped the bag from the handle and threw it in the bin prior to it being emptied. Just to make sure I waited till the next bin day and checked a neighbour had a battery bag tied to his bin and watched, same thing the bag thrown in his bin and then emptied.
I wrote a letter to Councillor Baxter explaining what I had seen and asking if he would like to look into the matter. I addressed it to his home address so as to make sure he read it and wasn't "filed" in the waste paper bin by one of his yes men, whatever happened {if anything} they still do it.

Just last week I got rid of an old pair of shoes, again {as requested} tie up in a plastic bag and leave in the small paper bin inside the larger one, as with the batteries the operative ripped the shoes from the bag and threw them into the big bin.
Yes when we've been to town, coming back we can always tell the bin men have been, cr*p all over the streets
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »
Sorastro,
             I thought you were going to say that he took his shoes off and threw them into the bin and put your old ones on.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:59:09 PM »
Sorastro,
             I thought you were going to say that he took his shoes off and threw them into the bin and put your old ones on.

:)) :))
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »
I reckon they play at it when it suits them.
Typical instance was when they spent money on the little grey  bins  for veg waste etc -  we were to put it into the green bin ONLY.
However when the collections of the green bins stopped for the winter the veg etc had to go into the normal household waste bin -
They can jog on with their stupid money wasting ideas!!

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
I know of so many people that use those little grey boxes for keeping their washing line pegs in!! I used to use it for storing dry dog food!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
I know of so many people that use those little grey boxes for keeping their washing line pegs in!! I used to use it for storing dry dog food!!

I have mine in a cupboard under the sink. It has my dishwasher tablets in ;)
I would have continued using it for raw food waste but they made a mockery of it by only doing it seasonally.

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »
I have mine in a cupboard under the sink. It has my dishwasher tablets in ;)
I would have continued using it for raw food waste but they made a mockery of it by only doing it seasonally.
To be honest its not difficult to think of any manner of ways it can be used more usefully!!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
According to last weeks D.T. the Council have had to delay some bin collections due to the company they outsourced to has gone bang.
Quite obviously the company concerned, when putting in a tender to the Council for the contract,  must have undercut the opposition to such a degree they've suddenly realised it wasn't paying and can no longer operate.

Lets hope now the bins are back "in house" there won't be as much cr*p on the streets after emptying and batteries will be disposed of properly, having said that this is the Council I'm talking about!!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »
During the maroon bin collection {since my last post on here} I tied a plastic bag, containing at least 8 batteries of various sizes, to the handle of the bin. After the bins had been emptied the wife fetched the bin back and told me the bag containing the batteries was STILL tied to the handle with the batteries still inside.

So my first job on opening the now empty bin was to throw the bag in the bin.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »
During the maroon bin collection {since my last post on here} I tied a plastic bag, containing at least 8 batteries of various sizes, to the handle of the bin. After the bins had been emptied the wife fetched the bin back and told me the bag containing the batteries was STILL tied to the handle with the batteries still inside.

So my first job on opening the now empty bin was to throw the bag in the bin.

Hubby tied batteries to our Maroon bin and they were taken on the last collection

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk