Author Topic: The new £50 "Mona Lisa"  (Read 1203 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
The new £50 "Mona Lisa"
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:45:34 AM »
So Alan Turing is the new £50 note pinup.

I think the only way I, and many others, will see this will be in the media. Over the past 25 years I have only ever seen two £50 notes. The last time I ever had one to spend was in the mid eighties, that was because my weekly wage then was £50 and change after tax so Securicor found it easier to just put one note in my wage packet {and change} than more notes that needed to be counted in, so I usually had to put it in my bank account then ask for money in smaller denominations. We did go out for a meal once, with me carrying a £50 note,and I ordered food and drinks for four of us, when told the cost I produced the £50 note and the look of horror on the waitresses face and she refused to take it. I asked for the manager and he said the same, till I pointed out that he either takes the note or we have meals and drinks free {as we had already ordered everything} followed by a letter to the D.T. stating how cr*ppy the service was there......he took the note.

Like the Mona Lisa, unless you visit the Louvre in Paris you will never get to see it, Alan Turing's the same 80% of the population will never see or use such a note so what was the point, you may as well have put a dog turd on the back.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: The new £50 "Mona Lisa"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 02:41:56 PM »
I suppose we will start to use them as we devalue the value of currency...but it has been a long while since I have seen one...

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 11:02:37 PM »
The reason you never see £50 notes in general circulation is because most places won't accept them.

When banknotes were all printed on paper it was no more difficult to forge a fifty than a tenner, but if you got stiffed with one it was five times the loss. So shops simply put a sign up saying "No £50 notes" and left it at that.

Now that the new polymer notes are supposed to be so difficult to forge, we will probably see them making a comeback.

At least until the back-street mints figure out how to do a convincing copy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 12:22:14 AM »
I personally think the £50 note is a waste of time. As said before, most places just don't accept them.
I think in 20+ years of driving a taxi I've took 'ONE'. The only reason I took it is because the lady wanted another taxi half hour later and left the note with 'ME'  :o so I could change it into smaller notes somewhere.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
The reason you never see £50 notes in general circulation is because most places won't accept them.

When banknotes were all printed on paper it was no more difficult to forge a fifty than a tenner, but if you got stiffed with one it was five times the loss. So shops simply put a sign up saying "No £50 notes" and left it at that.

Now that the new polymer notes are supposed to be so difficult to forge, we will probably see them making a comeback.

At least until the back-street mints figure out how to do a convincing copy.

I don't think the £50 note was ever in general circulation for them to make a "comeback" kromercap, {well not in my circles anyway}.
Admittedly, as you say, when the new ones come into circulation you may find them being used more, especially if we suffer with high inflation, but the biggest problem with these notes will be people buying next to nothing with them and presenting a £50 note to the recipient,
"Packet of fags please"  then produce a £50 note, it will happen.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »
Have you seen the price of fags. If you bought a weeks worth you'd need 2 £50 notes LOL.
Glad we stopped, nearly 7 years ago now https://www.chesterfieldonline.org/index.php?topic=1959.0
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
Some years ago we took my parents out and they went into Iceland shop in Matlock.
It was nearing Christmas and they had got their pensions out to do food shopping.
Mum got hers - and paid with a £50 note - dad bought his gateau and paid with - yes - a £50 note  :-? ;D
The  assistant;s face was a picture  :))
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
Called in a Cafe Nero the other day so the wife could have a coffee {don't touch the stuff myself} and there was a note pinned to the counter that said "UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE NO FIFTY POUND NOTES WILL BE ACCEPTED"

On recollection that could be a wise move, if new £50 are coming into circulation that means the "duff" ones have got to be got rid of.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk