Author Topic: Smart Meter  (Read 12317 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: Smart Meter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »
It would appear one of those companies I mentioned is in fear of going belly up.

It is alleged......
It would appear that the company mentioned is not the only Council run energy company, and most seem to be heading for the same abyss.
The Councils seem to be setting up "local" energy companies under the Council banner, but in reality all they are doing is drumming up trade for an established energy company {who remains in the background doing all the work} and basically being given a "bonus" for every new customer they sign up {yes a bit like chuggers}.
Over recent months at least 10 small energy companies have turned turtle, and there's every chance more will follow!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »
Speaking of energy our monthly statement made me cough. Really pleased we had accrued some credit in our account
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 11:22:55 PM »
Calor gas bottle heater. Lives under the stairs. Only use it when it's cold. Morning, dinner time etc. If were in.
Had the same bottle in it for 3 years now. Yes its about empty now.
Works out cheaper than putting the entire house heating on for an hour or 2 here and there.
Just move it from kitchen to room etc as needed.
Evening time, well, 4-10.30, heatings on.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »
So have we sorted the Energy out Sorastro?

Just got the energy companies update... it's going up by £5 p/month, as I say I'm not overly bothered about how much, I'm more interested in how often!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »
You won't know that until later in the year then?
I take it it isn't a fixed price

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 07:58:07 PM »
You won't know that until later in the year then?
I take it it isn't a fixed price

No I never have one of those fixed tariff plans as I need to change companies without any strings attached, they have offered me such a deal but you have to put up 2 months payments up front and there doesn't seem to be a guarantee it won't alter.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
Pleased we have this Indian Winter - it will give the heating a break  ;)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »
I seem to have found the magic bullet as far as utility chuggers are concerned.
I was walking towards the precinct the other day and there were utility chuggers opposite Mcdonalds, I think they were 1st utility, one of them walked towards me asking who my utility company was, I said Peoples energy, he said "No sorry can't match that" and walked away.
Then just this morning I rounded Steeplegate to be met by utility chuggers opposite Waterstones one approached me and the same thing happened, he just said o.k. and turned on his heels. Eureka!!!!

Even if your not with them give it a try.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »
Sounds like a good - is it one run by a local firm ?

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »
The smart meter roll out... according to the Government 53 million of these meters are to be installed by 2020.

It is alleged......

According to certain sources to date {baring in mind there is less than 8 months left to 2020} only 16 million have been installed so far.
So unprotected is the information used by these meters {customers sensitive information} that G.C.H.Q the governments intelligence headquarters has been drafted in to try and sort out the mess. Apparently sorting this mess will make breaking the German Enigma codes a walk in the park.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2019, 12:04:03 AM »
We've swapped supplier and still not got one. Don't want, and not having one
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:13 PM »
i was having repeated contacts regarding fitting a smart meter, i repeatedly told them no but they kept contacting me even going so far as to unilaterally arrange appointment for the fitting of the meters even though i had my name taken off the list of people who needed the meters fitting, eventually i had endured enough and contacted the head office threatening to contact the regulator and this did the trick including £50 credit as compensation.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
What's the basis of the TV adverts promoting smart meters that say you will save money? Utter tosh!

The only thing that smart meters do is to provide homeowners with an in-home display that shows how much energy you're using and how much its costing at any given time. We used to have something similar with the old electricity meters, remember how fast the wheel used to spin when you switched the immersion heater on?!

Now forgive me if I'm being thick, but, surely if you've got an ounce of common sense you know what appliances are going to cost you money (eg led light bulb vs electric fire), and you use them accordingly - no need for a digital read out to tell you (and by the way, that is also using electricity all the time it's powered up!).

I had smart meters a couple of years ago purely for my own convenience when I was undergoing prostate cancer treatment, the in home display was quickly consigned to the pantry and wasn't used. Unfortunately I lost the smart functionality when I changed supplier (that wasn't very well thought out by the government was it?) and they keep promising that all these type of meters will be upgraded to once again make them 'smart', although the timescale for this keeps slipping and is currently the end of 2020.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 01:08:51 PM »
It is alleged......
It would appear that the company mentioned is not the only Council run energy company, and most seem to be heading for the same abyss.
The Councils seem to be setting up "local" energy companies under the Council banner, but in reality all they are doing is drumming up trade for an established energy company {who remains in the background doing all the work} and basically being given a "bonus" for every new customer they sign up {yes a bit like chuggers}.
Over recent months at least 10 small energy companies have turned turtle, and there's every chance more will follow!

Interesting!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
So have we sorted the Energy out Sorastro?

It's almost a year {12th Nov 2018} since I changed utility companies and I've just sent off Novembers readings. I decided to stick with P/E to see how it compared to the previous year with Coop Energy. I send the readings online and got an instant bill to view, this is how the 2 years have panned out.......

2017 to 2018....
The Coop's projection in Nov last year for 2019 was almost £1300 with a D/D of approx £140 per month as I was in arrears, so when I left in Nov I had to pay £150 which was owing, total payment for 17/18  almost £1200.

2018 to 2019....
From Nov 18 to Nov 19 I have paid P/E just under £1100, total payments £1086, and I am £150 in credit!!

So until something better comes along I will stick with P/E.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk