Author Topic: James Arundel Massey  (Read 2126 times)

BumbleBee

• View Profile
James Arundel Massey
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to find any information on a local artist, James Arundel Massey who lived on Hawksley Avenue in Chesterfield and probably died mid 1980s.  Was he the son of the artist by the same name who lived 1875-1960.  Does anybody have any recollections of him?  I believe he lived in Buxton at the end of his life. 

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: James Arundel Massey
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 01:23:37 AM »
Hi Bumble. I hope you find some info on him.  MD (y)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »
Hi Bumblebee if you a face book user there is a group on there which is for people like yourself who are trying to contact people from their past.
I can't remember the name of the group but I'm sure someone will know on here.
Good luck  :)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »
Loads of stuff on Google, but then I guess you already knew that.

This would br his father.
https://www.notjusthockney.info/arundel-james/
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 07:56:20 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to find any information on a local artist, James Arundel Massey who lived on Hawksley Avenue in Chesterfield and probably died mid 1980s.  Was he the son of the artist by the same name who lived 1875-1960.  Does anybody have any recollections of him?  I believe he lived in Buxton at the end of his life.

That names a blast from the past..........

Just to say that I knew very little about him except I knew he was a {local} artist...I'd totally forgot about him. He was well known round Chesterfield late 60's early 70's, in certain watering holes.
I remember taking him home a couple of times when I worked on Fishers taxis, as I remember if you came along Hawksley avenue from  Newbold road towards town there's a little service road with houses, on the left side of the avenue just before the bend, he lived in one of those, I don't know which one as I always dropped him off on the avenue itself.
I also remember being told he used to sometimes paint scenery for the Civic Theatre in town, so it might pay off looking into their archives {if any}
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

FrankieB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
Hi,
James Arundel Massey , lived on Hawksley Avenue, he and his mother were friends of my mother--in -law, who also lived on Hawksley Ave.
In the 60s and 70's we bought several oil paintings and pastel drawings by James. We are now de - cluttering and looking to sell the paintings.
Hope this is useful

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
Welcome to Chesterfieldonline FrankieB  :)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 03:16:01 PM »
I've just read this, I am one of the nieces of James Arundel Massey living in Australia. He was my Mums brother - nee Lilian Massey (deceased). I've got original sketches & paintings of his. He did live with his Mum, my Nana. When she passed, he became a recluse & a heavy drinker. I never met my grandpa, he died before I was born,but I did go to England when I was 5, 1967 with my brother Ian Culshaw & Mum, originally to bring Nana out to Australia. There are 6 children, 3 pommie, 3 Aussies living in Australia from Victor Harold Vincent (deceased) & Lilian Culshaw (new Massey) I am the youngest  58 & the oldest is Richard, 73. Feel free to email me.

TOM H

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 02:57:49 AM »
HELLO PAULINE
I OWN A PAINTING BY J ARUNDEL MASSEY,IT IS AN OIL OR ACRYLIC  PORTRAIT OF WINSTON CHURCHILL AND IS VERY WELL DONE. IS IT POSSIBLE IT WAS A LIVE SITTING PORTRAIT?
THANK YOU
TOM HUGHES

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk