Author Topic: NHS wasting money!  (Read 2501 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
NHS wasting money!
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »
I'm suffering from an arthritic shoulder and, last week, went to the GPs for a steroid injection. The GP suggested physiotherapy and gave me the number to ring.

I rang the number and the person who answered it said I had to either get a GP referral, or go online and do a self referral, which I did.

This morning I've received a letter from the hospital telling me to ring the self same number to book an appointment!!!

So, what could have been done in one simple phone call, has cost them administration and postal fees plus another phone call!

You just couldn't make it up!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: NHS wasting money!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
Oh don't start me on this issue - money and time wasting seems to be on the increase in calow hospital, their different departments don't share information - and I don't mean personal stuff!!
Left hand and right hand - and all that !!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
I know what you mean.....

I book our next dental appointment whilst I'm there, they send us both a text a couple of days before, but not before I have received a letter reminding ME of the appointment and the wife gets an identical letter {usually in the next days post}

Rykneld also seem to duplicate letters.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 12:19:29 PM »
Rarely do I allow anger and frustration to dictate what I post on here, but the {one time} simple task of booking a doctors appointment has now become unrecognisable..... nay virtually impossible.

The wife and myself, now were getting on, admittedly need the doctors services more frequently than we did, that does not mean we're ringing them every ten minutes. Over the decades we have only ever contacted them when absolutely necessary and even now in our dotage we think twice before we ring, now with good reason.
We have both been ill over the past 4 weeks and have had occasion to "ring" the surgery about 4 times. Waiting times to be connected by phone to the surgery I think the fastest time of those four calls was half an hour, this morning the wife was hanging on for just under an hour and when she finally got connected the girl on the other end couldn't have been less helpful if she tried, so much so the wife told her to just forget it and hung up the phone.

We all KNOW the difficulties the N.H.S. face, but for all the difficulties it doesn't help the public who rely on the N.H.S. Saying sorry all the time to patients on the line who are in pain and distress does not cut it.
 It's down to the Conservatives spending a decade under funding the N.H.S. to the point it's unrecognisable. Saying they are investing in more doctors and nurses is no good for the here and now, someone training today to be a doctor won't be "up and running" for at least 7 years, likewise nurses, it's not like shelf stacking that can be taught basically within days.   

I actually saw something this morning on t.v. about a hospital who brought in an agency doctor and he was paid FIVE AND A HALF GRAND for one shift!   

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 05:44:54 PM »
actually saw something this morning on t.v. about a hospital who brought in an agency doctor and he was paid FIVE AND A HALF GRAND for one shift!   

I actually saw the same article this morning, and had to read it three times to make sure I'd read it right! It beggars belief!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 09:59:21 PM »
I'm suffering with severe mental illness and I'm autistic I'm not getting any help. I had a phone call from the gp in the town I now live in up north and I was surprised to get a phonecall. The GP was full of cold again and he said what help do you need (even though I have told the GP) with a severe mental illness any help would be a start. The NHS don't help people they just seem to talk their way out of doing anything. The NHS may be a free service but why on earth does it take a lifetime to get any help. If you are told to phone 111 it can take over a hour to get through  then they tell you to phone a GP. You just seem to get passed around from service to service. Money is not spent on the NHS in the way that it should be. Nothing for people who are autistic in this county. It's ridiculous.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 12:27:32 PM »
I'm suffering with severe mental illness and I'm autistic I'm not getting any help. I had a phone call from the gp in the town I now live in up north and I was surprised to get a phonecall. The GP was full of cold again and he said what help do you need (even though I have told the GP) with a severe mental illness any help would be a start. The NHS don't help people they just seem to talk their way out of doing anything. The NHS may be a free service but why on earth does it take a lifetime to get any help. If you are told to phone 111 it can take over a hour to get through  then they tell you to phone a GP. You just seem to get passed around from service to service. Money is not spent on the NHS in the way that it should be. Nothing for people who are autistic in this county. It's ridiculous.

I'm sorry to hear this.
Do you not have an Autistic Society in your area who could support you. We have the Derbyshire Autistic Society here who can be found on Facebook - maybe you have something similar

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 11:15:06 AM »
It's plainly obvious this government have been trying to introduce the American style of health care for years, in other words your treatment depends on how fat your wallet is.
On the occasions I watch programmes like Judge Judy and cases appear for injured parties claiming hospital bills, I am amazed at the costs involved, a few hours in A&E for some minor accident and the costs can be thousands of dollars and if they don't have medical insurance they literally have to sell their grannies to pay it,
The N.H.S. works perfectly well if funded, run and staffed properly, but it has been slowly starved of staff and resources so it's now imploding.
I've looked a little into private health care and wasn't surprised to find it isn't cheap. they don't give specifics but somewhere in the region of a £120 per person per month is not uncommon, plus when joining a lot won't entertain existing medical conditions so for me and the wife it's a none starter. If I ever win big on the lottery I will probably have a rethink.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 04:53:03 PM »
Rarely do I allow anger and frustration to dictate what I post on here, but the {one time} simple task of booking a doctors appointment has now become unrecognisable..... nay virtually impossible.
We have both been ill over the past 4 weeks and have had occasion to "ring" the surgery about 4 times. Waiting times to be connected by phone to the surgery I think the fastest time of those four calls was half an hour, this morning the wife was hanging on for just under an hour and when she finally got connected the girl on the other end couldn't have been less helpful if she tried, so much so the wife told her to just forget it and hung up the phone.

Obviously my wife didn't do herself any favours by hanging up the phone, but I couldn't blame her, and her ongoing joint pain she's had for weeks is not easing, so much so she visited the surgery as it opened this morning and STILL couldn't get an appointment, they said the next available opening was in TWO WEEKS TIME!! after much toing and froing she was given an appointment at Clay Cross hospital for tomorrow, 

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 12:21:38 PM »
The wife went out the other morning and guess what?

No she didn't win the lottery, or see a U.F.O. that would be too easy....no in fact she got ME an appointment to SEE a doctor {I know!}

Only trouble was I couldn't help but think, during the consultation, the doctors only job was to get me out of there as soon as possible, so much so he was out in the corridor shouting in the next patient before I'd even put my coat back on and got out of the room, and we patients literally passed at the door....... very unprofessional I thought.

So it would seem that getting an appointment {now} isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 07:56:02 PM »
If ever there was a "Let them eat cake!" Prime minister Sunak takes the biscuit/cake.

You've only got to look at him on P.M.Q's to know he doesn't give a monkeys about why people are striking, his  "the idle sods should get back to work" attitude will bite him on the bum one day soon.

The "Sunak" the better.

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 09:10:19 AM »
Truss looks like she is about to strike again......

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 02:05:38 PM »
The wife went out the other morning and guess what?

No she didn't win the lottery, or see a U.F.O. that would be too easy....no in fact she got ME an appointment to SEE a doctor {I know!}

Only trouble was I couldn't help but think, during the consultation, the doctors only job was to get me out of there as soon as possible, so much so he was out in the corridor shouting in the next patient before I'd even put my coat back on and got out of the room, and we patients literally passed at the door....... very unprofessional I thought.

So it would seem that getting an appointment {now} isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I called our surgery last week at 8.00am and was given an appointment for 9.15 am - the same day!! It's unheard of!

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 10:33:58 PM »
So you got the appointment at the surgery for 9:15am but they would be closed at 10:00am until the next day, isn't it they only see one person a day now.🤣

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 08:51:10 PM »
Wife got a letter from the surgery saying her medication consultation is due and can she ring to book an appointment.
She tried ringing this morning and after the usual press this press that robot she got piped music and an automated voice saying the call waiting time was TWENTY MINUTES!! needless to say she hung up.
It says in the letter if you don't wish the consultation then ring the surgery to confirm {eh!}  but if you don't contact us we will keep trying to contact you, meaning they could have rung her in the first place and saved all this hassle,or better still put an appointment day/time on the letter.

I looked online and it says you can book an appointment online ANYTIME at your leisure, but before you can do that to enable you to connect to the form, yes you've guessed it you have to ring the surgery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk