Author Topic: First Snow  (Read 3841 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
First Snow
« on: December 08, 2017, 07:45:01 AM »
Here we are flipping winds that cut through you and snow which came earlier than expected - looks like Sunday and Monday are going to be really bad days.  :-?
Super market shelves will be empty!  ::)
Shovels out!

Hope it doesn't stay too long.  :(

Stay safe if you are driving  (y)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

hifimad

• View Profile
Re: First Snow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 02:43:56 AM »
the thing that fills me with amusement at this time of year is going into tescos on christmas eve where you see shopping trolleys absolutely heaving, the shop is only shutting for one day and everybody appears to be stocking up for a possible nuclear attack, and before you think i am being overly judgemental i was bought up in the era where shops used to close for a few days over christmas so i have been as guilty of doing this as everybody else up until the last two years where i have been more a bit more carefull.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
I have never shopped on Christmas Eve that I remember - maybe for ordered bread rolls from a baker but otherwise no.
It's done generally at the beginning of December.
As we don't have the children now I don't really buy much extra for Christmas food wise either.

DCC appear to be taking tomorrows coming snow quite serious actually from the email I have had, so just be aware!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Residents urged to take care as we gear up for snow
8 December 2017

Derbyshire residents are being urged to prepare for heavy snow which is forecast to fall across the county on Sunday, 10 December 2017.

The Met Office has reported that while some sleet and snow showers are expected in parts of the county on Saturday afternoon and evening, widespread heavy snow is expected to arrive during Sunday morning. Around 10cm is expected although in some parts of the county it could be as much as 15 to 20cm.

We're gearing up for the expected snowfall following the Met Office Amber Warning and has a number of measures in place to keep the county moving and ensure older and vulnerable residents are cared for and safe.

Our fleet of 36 gritters, which can all be fitted with snow ploughs when needed, are ready to work around the clock from six depots around the county and we have a stockpile of 27,000 tonnes of salt (generally referred to as grit).

Around half of the 3,500 miles of road that we're responsible for are on gritting routes, and major roads, known as primary routes, will be gritted first and where necessary ploughed, followed by secondary routes which include bus routes in residential areas and well-used main roads through housing estates and villages.

The gritting teams will be backed by a team of farmers and other contractors who are on standby to help clear roads where needed and a number of volunteer snow wardens will also be out helping to keep pavements and public spaces clear and safe.

Highways officers have warned road users not to assume that roads have been gritted when driving and to check our website for the latest updates.

Our frontline care staff are also making plans to ensure they can reach older and vulnerable people in the community, and extra staff have been drafted in to work on Sunday to help organise services.

We're preparing to:

use 4x4 vehicles to help health and social care staff reach residents in their homes
prioritise visits to ensure the most vulnerable receive the care they need
help other agencies, including those in the independent sector, reach their clients.
We're urging residents to be prepared and take some simple steps to make sure they stay safe and well during the cold snap and snowfall. These include:

ensuring you have enough medication you may rely on and other supplies, for example food and baby milk
keeping your home warm − your main living room should be between around 18 to 21C (65 to 70F) and the rest of your house at a minimum of 16C
being a good neighbour and checking on older neighbours and relatives.
Our Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport and Infrastructure Councillor Simon Spencer said:

"Latest forecasts suggest widespread snowfall across Derbyshire with at least 10cm or more on Sunday.

"Our gritting teams work extremely hard day and night to keep roads clear and make sure the county is safe and moving.

"It's not realistic to be able to grit every single road so we target our gritting on the roads that benefit the greatest number of people and the most important services.

"If the weather is as predicted on Sunday, we'd urge motorists not to make journeys unless absolutely necessary and use public transport where possible − but check services are running before you leave home.

"We'd also ask people to keep an eye on elderly and vulnerable neighbours.

"We'll be monitoring conditions closely and we're on standby to help co-ordinate emergency help, if conditions are severe, such as helping health and social care workers to keep services running where necessary, transporting heating fuel to elderly and vulnerable residents, taking emergency medication to residents in 4x4s and helping residents get to emergency medical and hospital appointments."

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
the one ting not mentioned is when snow does come it does make everthing look pretty, and when it goes dark with the orange street lights it looks really nice, that is not to say i do not sympathise with te elderly or disabled as having a disabled partner myself i am aware of the increased risks.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
We know weather forecasters can get it wrong but what has peed me off this time is that DCC and the Police have issued warnings along with various other organisations who have offered shelter for the homeless.
It has been taken very seriously.

In light of these warnings I have put precautions into place.
I don't care that we didn't get the deluge which we were told to prepare for.

Instead I have read posts with people moaning about the lack of gritters on their streets and pavements.
Then when the deluge didn't come they moan about that!!

The fact that we didn't get as much is a bonus as far as I am concerned  and I would rather be given the worst scenario - some moan for the sake of moaning.

I agree with you it does make the scenery so pretty but hard for some as you say.

We seem to have a Nation of moaners at times!!

wollygobble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
Chesterfield was right on the northern edge of the snow.  Apparently even Wingerworth got the expected 10cm.  I looked at a satellite picture online, and there was a great cloud mass to the south, with fingers of it pointing north.  It was pure luck whether you were under one of the fingers or in a gap between them.

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »
We have been to my daughters  today .who lives about three miles northeast of Nottingham I expected to see plenty of snow  but there was very  little.The roads were all clear  so we had no problems.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
I think overall we did have a lot less than was forecast. That's the norm though isn't it, always fear the worst  :)
It hasn't cost me any time off work yet, and I ain't been stuck anywhere. Let's hope it stays this way (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »
Well, Snowpocalypse Unprecedented Climate Armageddon Cyclone Storm Hitler, was a bit of a let-down really.

If I remember right, we just used to call it  "Winter", back in the day. And get on with our lives... :(

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 10:32:38 PM »
'Winter' eh, a good old fashioned word lol  :))
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:51:46 PM »
It is known as 'Panic' these days!!. Couldn't beat coming home from school having tea and out for a snowball fight  ;)

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 08:52:47 AM »
The headlines from the likes of the Mail and Express suggesting we are about to enter some kind of ice age Armageddon probably dont help.....every year we see headlines about the worst winter since whenever with arctic temps and feet of snow yet every year we get a bit of a sprinkling and it may get a nippy its nothing dressing accordingly doesnt sort.

Then if we do happen to get a decent amount of snow we cant cope with it....councils etc dont have the road clearing kit and if we're honest shouldnt be expected to fork out for it in these times where budgets are slashed. Can imagine the uproar if the local or county council announced they'd spent millions on snow clearing kit instead of other stuff only for it to sit unused most of the time. Secondly people dont know how to deal with it very well....they panic that they might not be able to get to the shop for a couple of days and then as for them dealing with driving in it the less said the better.

Its probably best that forecasts do go on the side of caution about it all and then if it doesnt come its not so much of an issue. Does seem that in the days leading up to the forecasted snow the council were well on top of gritting etc and main roads were all easily passable and folk kept moving and able to enjoy the little bit we did have. I know for a fact our dog loved his walk in it on Sunday!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
Agree with you bransoj.
Budgets are tight and the purse needs looking after at local councils.
I'm not sure when or why this has changed but as a child I remembrr my grandfather having a hand held snow plough for the pavements in our village.
Any council workers back then stayed in our village and cleared the paths.
Mind you the village is much larger now so would take longer.
I am not sureawhere they go now if their work is stopped through snow.
Snow wardens are asked for but response isn't good.
Also a lack of grit bins don't help these again come down to money!

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
Grit bins are a help but then they get emptied by folk using them on their own drives who then moan because their little side road hasnt been cleared by the council.

Whilst its not everyone for a lot of people these days working from home should stop any issues with snow. The technology is there now for people to access work systems from home etc so dont even have to leave their houses to worry about roads being iffy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk