Author Topic: The real Iron Ladies  (Read 4633 times)

Slacker

• View Profile
The real Iron Ladies
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
At 12.30 pm on Friday 6th January a banner will be unfurled outside the Cineworld Cinema in Chesterfield.  The banner reads The Real Iron Ladies Womens Action Group Miners Strike 1984/85.

Friday lunchtime marks the first showing in Chesterfield of the film about Magaret Thatcher The Iron Lady starring Meryl Streep which premiered in London this week.

A group of veterans of the Womens Action Groups and their supporters will make their protest against the Hollywood rewriting of history.

The film suggests that Thatcher stood up bravely against a male establishment and was a womens champion said Toni Bennett who was an organiser with the Bolsover Womens Action Group during the strike. Nothing could be further from the truth.  Thatcher mobilised every arm of the state against striking miners and coalfield women who were defending their jobs, their childrens futures and their communities.

The Women and their supporters contend that the real Iron Ladies are the women of the coalfields who defied Thatchers Government for a whole year during the 84/85 strike.

If you look around you today with high fuel prices, the banking crisis and mass unemployment people need to remember it was the government serving under Prime Minister Thatcher who sold off our gas and electricity industries, deregulated the banks and destroyed our manufacturing base Toni Bennett went on to say.  Anyone watching this film needs to be able to distinguish the facts from the fiction.  If your children cannot find work today, and there are 1 million out there, then remember what Margaret Thatcher did to smash our industries during the 1980s.

The real iron ladies will be organising a meeting in Chesterfield later this month to bring together whose who were involved in the strike and the battles of the 80s with a view to sharing their experience with those working to defend rights today. 

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: The real Iron Ladies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
Sounds exciting
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:43:25 AM »
Proportionally Chesterfield seemed to be less affected by the strike than many outlying villages. It was only when I moved to the county council in 1985 that I got to know more people directly involved and to work in villages where many people had been on strike and were later hit by the pit closures.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »
Toni Bennet, now there's a name I remember.
Is she the 'same' one who has just quit Bolsover Council. ??

Google is my friend.
Now. Well, was  ;) Don't know why she quit ?? Yet !!
http://www.bolsover.gov.uk/councillors/787-councillor-toni-bennett.html

Then.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/videonation/articles/u/uk_arrest.shtml

No kidding, she was like a typical early 80's CND supporter.
Admittedly, she did help the families of the miners.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:58:51 PM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »
Yes though I think she has only quit Old Bolsover Town Council and still remains on Bolsover District

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
OT: Noticed the DT article about Parish Councils.

Perhaps they left before the ship sinks.
Good, bad, probably a good move.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »
Within Bolsover District there is a big difference in the parish councils from ones that have their own village halls to the ones who just seem to purchase a few grit bins. I have never lived in an area with a parish councils, those who have (N E Derbyshire & Bolsover plus the Brimington & Staveley areas of Chesterfield) may have an opinion on whether they are good value for money.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
Just been reading about this on the DT website - one bloke has commented on the story - "For the first time ever I can safely say this story makes me feel embarrassed I live and work in Chesterfield."  :o
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
A Thatcher lover in Chezzy, never  :D
I wonder what the protesters objectives are, the film is probably full of fictious lines she never actually said.
Saying that, Cammeron has slated the film, think he's just sticking up for Maggie.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
Only managed to get a short clip of film of Andy Kershaw interviewing for Radio Sheffield
The Real Iron Ladies

mycul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
Having read this twice am totally p1ssed off, thought I was getting my shirts pressed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk