Author Topic: Dial 999  (Read 2238 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Dial 999
« on: September 10, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
This post is being typed because I feel so frustrated at what happened {or didn't happen} that I have to get it off my chest.

I have only found myself needing to dial 999 about 4 times in my entire life. The latest one was about a month ago now, It was one of those very hot sunny days, I was upstairs with the windows wide open and could hear a {young} couple approaching having a "slanging" match on the opposite side of the road, she was obviously trying to get away from him and he was barring her path, after about 5 minutes of this she went back down the road with him still arguing but not with the same gusto and all went quiet for about an hour.
Then all hell broke loose, a full on argument started {and this was in the next street} in fact the whole estate must have heard it. She wasn't shouting she was screaming at the top of her lungs {I knew it was the same couple even if I couldn't see them} her screams were terrifying so.......I dialled 999 and got through to the police control room.

I told the lady on the other end what had transpired prior to me ringing and I impressed upon her the need for urgency as the screams were dreadful, as I put it " It sounds like she is being murdered" and that was NO exaggeration, and I believe that was my fatal mistake because all the way through the phone conversation I got the distinct impression she wasn't taking the situation as seriously as I was. Quite obviously these people manning the phones are used to people ringing in in a panic and possibly over exaggerating the situation, but no matter how I tried to convince her I wasn't an hysterical loon she down played it so much I was beginning to doubt my own judgement on the issue. At one point the screams were so loud I said "Listen for yourself" and I stuck my phone out of the window so she could hear for herself, all I could get out of her was "I can't hear anything...What is she saying..What is she saying??" and all I could reply was "She's not saying ANYTHING she's screaming for her life".
I may as well have just rung up and asked what the time was.
The upshot of it was a police car turned up a good 30 minutes later and parked on the end of the other street for about 40 minutes then went. Whether they went asking questions or not I'm not sure.

So I'm sorry to say {unless it's my immediate family} the next time I find myself in a similar situation I will think twice.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Dial 999
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:28:36 PM »
One of the problems is they are so stretched unfortunately things are not done as we would hope or expect, plus if it's domestic they don't like to get involved.
I can understand your concerns at the time though. It must have been very worrying!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »
One of the problems is they are so stretched unfortunately things are not done as we would hope or expect, plus if it's domestic they don't like to get involved.
I can understand your concerns at the time though. It must have been very worrying!

Yes indeed it was. The thing worrying me was, if at the time things had actually escalated, I just wonder how that controller might have felt suddenly realising the "domestic" she had convinced herself it too be had, in fact, turned into something far more serious and sinister by the time the cavalry arrived {AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED}

For me lack of resources is no excuse.
How would Teresa May react if she was told that governments  PPO's are in short supply so her protection attachment for the foreseeable future will now consist of just one officer carrying a water pistol.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
How would Teresa May react if she was told that governments  PPO's are in short supply so her protection attachment for the foreseeable future will now consist of just one officer carrying a water pistol.

That's never going to happen is it. GOV of any demomination will always keep themselves "safe"  >:(
As for 'dialing 999', only the person with the phone can make that decision at the time !  Do I, don't I ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:36:58 PM »
Yes indeed it was. The thing worrying me was, if at the time things had actually escalated, I just wonder how that controller might have felt suddenly realising the "domestic" she had convinced herself it too be had, in fact, turned into something far more serious and sinister by the time the cavalry arrived {AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED}

For me lack of resources is no excuse.

I can well understand your consternation in this incident. I suspect most would feel the same.
People in power will always protect their own interests so unfortunately she will never have to face the reality of being without protection!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
Continuing the theme......apparently there has been an enquiry at the Old Bailey {no less} that has determined that the Westminster terrorist who killed 4 people by driving into them in March of last year, then went on to kill an unarmed police officer before being shot dead was LAWFULLY killed.

The time, effort and taxpayers money that's gone into this "farce" beggars belief. What's even more startling, than having this enquiry in the first place, is that the jury in the enquiry took over TWO hours to reach this "verdict"
British justice eh.......

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
I think it is well known that the British Justice is lacking in common sense at times.
All of it needs a complete review to bring it up to the present day.

If those that decided it was unlawful - sing them up and put them on the streets to work!! ( eerr not prostitution  just before some clever person pipes up )  :))

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
Unfortunately justice as with British justice has one major failing especially in cut and dried cases such as the above,

"Even wrongdoers have rights"

It doesn't matter if you committed a heinous crime in full view of hordes of people, some of these trials can last years. In America some convicts have been on "death row" for years for just the reason their lawyers keep appealing, they were found guilty by a jury of their peers and sentenced,
Most of the evidence nowadays can be viewed on You tube as body cams, dash cams and the general public using phone cameras capture virtually every second of what transpired so now it's not so much WHO did it, more WHY they did it.
The actual "crime" appears to be an afterthought nowadays, of course mitigating circumstances play a part, anyone can be pushed "over the edge" if provoked enough that's why lawyers in cases such as above {if he were still alive obviously} would play the mental disturbed card. Contrary to popular belief a solicitors/lawyers job is not to "Seek out the truth" it's to get their client off by whatever means.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
I would agree everyone has 'rights' but only to a certain  sensible extent.

Death row - I don't really agree with but what a total waste of money for prisoners to be in that wing for years - if sentenced without any doubts just get on with it!
If there are doubts - they shouldn't be on Death Row !

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
This is why law and order is breaking down in this country the understaffed prisons are full to bursting so as a result a large number of miscreants are "let off" with a suspended jail term, or just a fine {which they don't bother paying} when they should be in clink, this causes them to re offend very quickly safe in the knowledge that either the police won't even bother chasing them up or if they are caught the courts have a revolving door system.

Someone once said "Crime doesn't pay" someone should re visit that statement!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
If more support were given to prisoners once released some may well turn a corner and start a better life, as it is now there is little for them once that door is unlocked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk