Author Topic: 38 Clifton Street, Brampton  (Read 1444 times)

kromercap

• View Profile
38 Clifton Street, Brampton
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
Is a small, derelict-looking brick building with two doors, near the back of Brampton Infants School, but facing out onto the street.

It looks like it might possibly have been a public toilet at some time.

Anyone here know anything about it?

It's only a matter of curiosity on my part, I don't want to buy it or anything. I've been walking past the place for years and it's never looked any different, nor seemed to have served any useful purpose.

Somebody must be responsible for it, as the brambles and weeds that were almost burying it have recently been removed.

As I say, just idle curiosity. An itch I'd like to scratch.

Sorastro

• View Profile
Re: 38 Clifton Street, Brampton
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
Certainly looks like an old toilet at first glance. If it is you can bet it's council "property"

It's the same with that old farmhouse on Mansfield road Winsick, just above the 3 cottages pub. That place has been derelict for yonks and nothing seems to be being done about it. Same with the old offices further on just as you get to Corbriggs, I remember delivering there in the early 90's and there was talk of it closing then {I think it was something to do with Coalite}

A few years ago now Someone I knew was interested in a field to graze a few horses he'd got, try as he might he could not find out who owned the field, no one knew anything, so he put his horses on the field, in less than 24 hours he had the owner banging on his door wanting to know what he was playing at. Apparently the horse owner said something along the lines of "Well now YOUV'E stopped playing hide and seek we can talk". 
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:11:29 PM »

A few years ago now Someone I knew was interested in a field to graze a few horses he'd got, try as he might he could not find out who owned the field, no one knew anything, so he put his horses on the field, in less than 24 hours he had the owner banging on his door wanting to know what he was playing at. Apparently the horse owner said something along the lines of "Well now YOUV'E stopped playing hide and seek we can talk".

Now there's an idea. Maybe I should change the lock on the gate and start painting the place up.

If it is Council owned I'll probably get a rates bill for it... ::)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
Now there's an idea. Maybe I should change the lock on the gate and start painting the place up.

If it is Council owned I'll probably get a rates bill for it... ::)

Why not?.............just ring the council and tell them you wish to do the place up so you can sell it, if they say it's not your property it's ours say "Well bloody well do something with it then"!!!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
I seem to think that it was used by police ?
Is this it ? 

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
It was up for sale a few years ago, i don't know if it sold or not ?
It's such a small building on a small plot of land that it's probably only of any use to the neighbouring property to use for something ?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 01:33:34 AM »
I'm not familiar with Brampton but my uncle grew up there - I will ask him.

You have brought into my mind the small building on Derby Road just before the traffic lights ( Hasland turn off)
There is a small building there which I think was maybe public toilets but like the one you speak of it's just left
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 05:34:00 AM »
I seem to think that it was used by police ?
Is this it ?

Yep, that's it, although as I say, all the vegetation has been cleared out from around it now.

I guess it being some kind of police box might make sense.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk