Author Topic: First Snow  (Read 3846 times)

kromercap

• View Profile
Re: First Snow
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 05:23:57 PM »
Meanwhile, in Japan...

:)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:27:55 PM by kromercap »

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
We were with a group of people in Newbold tonight for a Christmas meal - mass exodus as the snow came thick and fast.
I felt like Cinderella being rushed out for the taxi an hour early!!  :(
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
Was never going to settle tonight after all the rain we'd had. Now had it been a clear day and it'd come down with snow to settle on it would have been more of an issue but there was never anything to worry about. I even walked out with the dog at 10pm in shorts and trainers with no socks....now admittedly i had a very big coat on my top half but i didnt expect to be walking out into any settled snow.

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
Not many on here will remember the winter of 1947.I lived in a terraced house with a 5ft. wall between us and the neighbours.From mid December to the end of March the snow was nearly at the top of the wall for all that time.
My Dad was  a bricklayer  and  could not work for all that time.He was on the dole  for much of the time and had to  work shovelling snow into lorries mainly in the town centre.Anyone  who  refused  did not get any dole money.
I recall  I did not miss one day at school as all the teachers lived within walking  distance  and very few could afford cars.
 If anybody went into the pub at the top of Owler Bar there were numerous pictures on the wall and they unable to get out for at least two months due to the snow.

Those were the days or were they?

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:10 PM »
No-one can take those memories from you  ;)  (y)
I have some too, but not from 1947  :))
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »
Bransoj I agree with you and I couldn't see why they were panicking, it had given rain with some sleet. Bitterly cold though you must be made of strong stuff to venture out with socks!

Umpire I was but a Twinkle in my dads eye in 1947 but I have been told about it and as you say the streets in our village were also flanked by deep piled snow.

I cannot remember the year but possibly late 70's early 80's when I made my young daughter an igloo. Terrifically cold weather which after the snow it was cold the air was being frozen. You could see the ice particles if you looked up.

Interesting account of your father having to help with the grit lorries - whilst I certainly do not condone what has happened within the DWP these last years, I think there was a lot of practical sense in people having to help with the snow shifting in whatever way they could.
It is similar  to my account of my council workers staying in their own villages to clear pavements.

Does anyone actually know what happens now when workers are snowed off their outdoor work?

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »
My grandad was a plumber and  in that  three month period  there were not enough hours in the day.Most of the houses  were terraced  with outside toilets  which in cold weather  froze up unless you put a paraffin lamp in them. .I can picture him walking down the  road with his blow lamp and loads  of solder and spanners  in his plumbers  bag which was slung  over his shoulder  and smoking his pipe.
I doubt whether he made much as very few had any money and he was as daft as a brush.
His patch was mainly Lower Brampton and Brockwell.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
I remember the Paraffin Lamps. I also remember our wash basin pipe frequently being frozen in the mornings. Dad would put a small fire in a metal bucket near the pipe outside whilst we had the job of carrying hot water upstairs to pour down the wash basin. Windows iced over inside and we slept with an old Army Coat on the top of our bed clothes.
I'll bet the plumbers never stopped in bad weather.

Until we bought our first Terraced house I never knew really why the toilet was called 'The Throne'.
Outside loo in that property had a step up to the toilet itself.

The good old days were not always so 'good' but we were happy

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »
I had a brilliant childhood even though we had  very little money.An apple and a orange plus one  main present at Christmas and that was it.When we were not at school  we spent almost  all of the time outside  playing all manner of games  and playing pranks on neighbours.
They were indeed happy times.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »
Life is so different now isn't it Umpire.
Like you we were not flush with money although dad always worked. With three children and mum at home tending the house things were tight but we always had food on the table and shoes on our feet - even if the shoes were got by the use of a Provident Check! ( is that facility still going? )
By the age of 11 years I was helping mum ( i was expected to!! ) with cleaning and shared the care of my brother who had just been born.
It was always a strange kind of relationship between us a sort of brother sister - mother daughter thing. I guess that's what happens when you share care.

I remember the men forming a small queue outside the local pub at 11.55am on Sunday's if they were not working ( my dad was one  ;) ) - waiting for that much needed pint after a week in the pits -
I was fortunate enough to go a pit ( or maybe not ! ) It looked a terribly hard place to earn a crust!

Umpire

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Were you at the Old House for a christmas meal.If you were what did you think? We were there on the 8th  for a annual family meal(we  went at lunch time)'
I thought it  was average .Just one or two small things.No Yorkshire puds,sprouts could have done with a bit longer and the rolls with the  soup ought to have been warmed through.
On the 10th a friend of ours took us to the Lockeeper for both our birthdays and that  was far better..We have been there a few times recently at lunch time and it has always been  ok.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
Yes that is where we went. Have to agree with your opinion of the meal. I was told another guest complained to the manager.
We are going to the Three Cottages over the weekend so hoping that is better0

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »
Well the Tree Cottages gave a delicious Beef dinner so no complaints there.

We also returned to  the Old House New years Eve and have to say were served a splendid meal - certainly no complaints this time !!

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
Thankfully snow is no longer a problem to me as I am now retired any white stuff the car stays on the drive and I just gaze out of the window  with that "I wonder what the poor people are doing" expression on my face {and I smile a lot}

As for 47 being a bad winter I can tell you of two of the worst winters we had last century...... punch line anyone?? 
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk