Author Topic: 2016 referndum invalid?  (Read 46 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hifimad

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 183
    • View Profile
2016 referndum invalid?
« on: April 10, 2019, 02:20:23 AM »
Here we are in 2019 a little under three years after the 2016 referendum on leaving the EU, the so called brexiteers are to be seen on TV daily and their main argument seems to be that as a result of the referendum it is the will of the people that we leave the EU.
Another argument i have heard is that as Theresa May won the last election (with a little over 40% of the vote) and this gives her a mandate to implement the tory manifesto and thus to implement brexit are we to ignore the other 60%. secondly Harold Wilson once said a week is a long time in politics, a statement i might add which seems to have concensus across the political divide.
with this in mind surely three years would count as an eternity, so my question is that at what point does the 2016 referendum cease to be valid.
Iif you study the brexit polling since 2017 there has been a steady but inexorable rise in remain voters and an almost equal decline in leave voters, when i last looked it was 54% remain and 46% leave i would suggest that this coupled with the length of time since the referendum may make these arguments in favour of leaving the EU questionable at the very least.

Fly

  • Administrator
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 7,846
  • Chezzy's No1 Taxi Driver
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: 2016 referndum invalid?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
I think the remainers believe if they pedal enough bullshit for long enough more people will start to talk like you just have.
Quote
may make these arguments in favour of leaving the EU questionable at the very least
Don't you think it's a kick in the teeth for democracy if we end up not leaving ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

hifimad

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 183
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 referndum invalid?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:58 PM »
if we were to have a confirmatory referendum on the final deal that would be democratic, lets not forget how we were told that we  would be having all the benefits of free trade while being out of the union and how the NHS will be getting 350m per week and also how we would be taking back control (since when did ordinary people have any control the short answer is they didn't) that was the real bullshit, i think voters voted leave for many reasons so such a vote would be democratic and lets not forget how much value was wiped from the Pound which is still considerably lower as a result of the 2016 referendum we are already worse of and we have not even left yet. i personally think i am now of such an age that i do not think leaving or staying in the EU is unlikely to affect me for decades to come, i do however worry about how it will affect the young people who are likely to be stuck with whatever decision is made for better or worse.

Old Cruser

  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • Posts: 7,889
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 referndum invalid?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 03:29:31 PM »
We go round in circles with this Brexit malarkey.
I reckon the truth is that none of us were able to give a sound vote as we didn't know enough about the implications of it - maybe because the politicians didn't and maybe because they told some lies to get the result they wanted - ??
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

hifimad

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 183
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 referndum invalid?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
the real problem is the so called brexiteers made promises they had no intention of keeping, such as we would be getting the same benefits trade wise if were out of the EU as in it, the nhs would get £350m a week and 80m turks were about to invade our shores and we would take back control of our laws and everthing would be rosy, all this without a mention of the downsides, while secretly planning to drag us out of the EU whihout any deals at all, and then ultimate lie all this they were doing for the people, HORSE DUNG. the majority of the people in this country are working class, and the majority of parliaments brexiteers are priveledged ex public school moneyed toffs, since when did these type of people give a twopeeny bit for the working class let alone seeding control to them, the referendum and ultimately brexit never was or has been about the people it has all been about the internecine warfare in the tory party the whole brexit outcome and continuing debate is based on one massive lie and that is us being told that brexit is about democracy.