Author Topic: Wrinklies are past it!  (Read 596 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Wrinklies are past it!
« on: March 22, 2023, 07:48:04 PM »
Anyone else see the news this morning ? A possible "law" being brought in to basically FORCE drivers 70 and over to surrender their licences, working on the principle that most accidents are caused by O.A.P's. so as soon as you hit 70 your obviously gaga, ergo you are a danger.

ANY half decent drivers out there {of any age} reading this don't need me to explain the absurdity of this drivel {if true of course} so I won't, all I will say is if this is coming from the Department of Transport these are the people who dreamt up H.S.2, and these are the people that are forcing us to use "smart" motorways throughout the country.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Wrinklies are past it!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 07:09:07 PM »
There's plenty of over 70's perfectly capable of driving IMHO.
Just another stupid government idea as per usual!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
It's the youngsters who need testing more...I am sure they are responsible for far more accidents than we  wrinklies..

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 04:32:28 PM »
The thing is, we wrinklies (I've just had to renew my licence as I'm 70) were taught in an age when we knew that you had to earn the right to hold a licence by driving to a required standard. Nowadays young 'uns take it as a god given right.
Also we drive to the traffic and weather conditions and adjust speed and braking distances accordingly.
I could go on, but I know I'm preaching to the converted!

On a similar topic:

I mentioned about renewing my licence, I applied online and now have lost my entitlement to drive C1 class (passed my test 5/11/1970 {10:45am}) how come I can remember this, but not what I went upstairs for? This means I can now only drive up to 3.5 tons, I recently bought a motorhome so figure this...

I can buy a motorhome plated at 3.75 tons, get it down plated to 3.5 tons and drive it. I know that by down plating it, I've reduced my payload by 0.25 ton, but it's still the same van in terms of power and dimensions etc? It doesn't make sense to me.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 08:32:29 PM »
Just read your post Alsatian and having had a look at my "new" licence C1 is missing off mine too.

Looked it up and I could get it back if I have a medical, usually known as a motor home medical, but seeing as how I don't own a motor home and I won't be driving large lorries any time soon I'll be happy just to tootle about in my Ford Fiesta.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk