Author Topic: The town hall & parking  (Read 1041 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
The town hall & parking
« on: September 10, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
Over the past few months we have been to town once a week and rather than catch the bus we have gone by car and parked in the car park behind the town hall.

The car park got a new ticketing system installed a few weeks ago and they seem to be forever tinkering with it as on more than one occasion at least one of the machines has thrown a seven.
Went this morning and of the two machines on the entrance one was being "looked at" then they went to look at the payment machines and one was scratching his head. When we returned and paid we left the car park at the Rose Hill West exit there was a "jammed" ticket in the slot, so I couldn't use my ticket, but the barrier just went up anyway.
Also as I walk past the back of the town hall heading into town the town hall looks "empty". I just wonder how much of the town halls office space is now redundant. In 2018 they apparently spent over 2 million knocking interior walls down to make larger office space area but from the outside {at the rear anyway} the place looks empty.   

Also....
"General markets in Chesterfield take place on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays. Enjoy the sights sounds and smells of the traditional market as you browse a variety of stalls selling food fashion home ware and gifts. It boasts fresh seasonal produce, friendly market traders and value for money goods" [unquote]
I think the above should be re written. I walked round the "market" this morning {Friday} and there were only about seven stalls in use. Apart from the fruit and veg stall and a clothes stall the rest were just bric-a-brac stalls, and the only smell seems to permeate from the homeless littering the place.

Chesterfield.......you can keep it!
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Tarzan

• View Profile
Re: The town hall & parking
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 05:57:50 PM »
I've sometimes parked there if i have to nip in to the Peak pharmacy,on saltergate. For quite a while it didn't charge anything if i was only about 5 or10 minutes, but now it charges no matter how quickly i am  >:(
What i find more annoying though is all the begging that goes on at these machines, & the council do nothing about it ! :(

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
We haven't used that car park for awhile now but rarely visit Chesterfield these days so I have this pleasure yet to come!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:50:16 PM »
@Tarzan.
I used to be able to park behind the town hall, nip to the licensing dept, renew my taxi badge and get away without paying. If I was lucky LOL
I like the Priory at Worksop too. I can park up there, nip to the pound shop, then call at Greggs on the way back to the car park and get away for free (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 11:44:34 AM »
Just been to town this morning, parked as usual in Rose hill car park and it's full of gypo caravans, and not just little ones either they must be at least 25 to 30 feet in length.
That's possibly why the council were checking all the barriers, there is no way a van and caravan would have got through a barrier in the time allotted so they must have damaged the barriers, or removed them in some way.

I hope they charge them for the stuff they've damaged, and the parking.......fat chance.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 12:02:31 PM »
Just been to town this morning, parked as usual in Rose hill car park and it's full of gypo caravans, and not just little ones either they must be at least 25 to 30 feet in length.
That's possibly why the council were checking all the barriers, there is no way a van and caravan would have got through a barrier in the time allotted so they must have damaged the barriers, or removed them in some way.

I hope they charge them for the stuff they've damaged, and the parking.......fat chance.

Been again this morning and they've gone!
It obviously didn't take the council long to shift them...after all they were costing the council vital parking revenue and that wouldn't do, I mean after all, the poor overtaxed motorist is a vital cash cow for councils, so having none paying "guests" taking up residence and depriving the council of dosh in valuable parking spaces is a no no so it's all hands to the [council] pumps to get them ousted.

It's a great pity the council doesn't apply the same "force" when Joe Bloggs opens his curtains one morning and finds half a dozen caravans across the road on say a recreation ground or empty space.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »

It obviously didn't take the council long to shift them...after all they were costing the council vital parking revenue and that wouldn't do, I mean after all, the poor overtaxed motorist is a vital cash cow for councils, so having none paying "guests" taking up residence and depriving the council of dosh in valuable parking spaces is a no no so it's all hands to the [council] pumps to get them ousted.

It's a great pity the council doesn't apply the same "force" when Joe Bloggs opens his curtains one morning and finds half a dozen caravans across the road on say a recreation ground or empty space.

Hear hear,  I thought exactly the same as you!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 11:24:10 PM »

Perhaps the council were also bothered about paying compensation to all the beggars for loss of income.. :))

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 01:08:24 PM »
Blimey!!
Don't put ideas like that in their heads......

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 07:00:57 PM »
Actually I was watching a presentation night last week and the ones sitting by the car park machine's are not homeless - just conning the softies out of their dosh!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk