Author Topic: Warning!  (Read 1565 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
Warning!
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
I am part of our neighbourhood watch (NOT a peeping Tom!!) and this letter arrived (via email) along with our monthly crime stats figures:

Police in North East Derbyshire and Bolsover are advising motorists about security after eight catalytic converters have been stolen in the past two weeks. (01.05.2012)

The most recent incident took place overnight between Tuesday, April 24 and
Wednesday, April 25. A catalytic converter was stolen from a Renault Master van which was parked on North Street in Langwith.

Thieves also targeted a Iveco Daily van parked in a yard off Nethermoor Lane, Killamarsh in early hours of Tuesday, April 24. A number of incidents have also happened in Duckmanton and Eckington.

Police are currently investigating the thefts but are also advising motorists to take extra measures to avoid becoming a victim.

Community Safety Partnership Sgt. Paul Smith said: “We would ask people to be vigilant and to contact us if they see anyone acting suspiciously around vehicles, especially vans and 4x4s.

“Information including descriptions of people or the cars they are travelling in could be key and could help officers to investigate any reports or thefts.”

Owners should:
•   Keep vehicles in a locked garage whenever possible.
•   Park in a well-lit area
•   Consider installing a good quality CCTV system or security lighting to cover your driveway or garage which would make vehicles visible from the street but without creating glare.
•   Avoid parking near trees or bushes which could provide cover for a thief.
•   If your catalytic converter is bolted on then consider having the bolts welded shut.
•   A protective covering for your catalytic converter may be available and will make it more difficult for the part to be stolen.
•   Tell your neighbours and friends to make them aware so they can keep an eye out for suspicious activity or review their own security.
•   Etching your catalytic converter with a serial number will help police to track it back to you and could help officers to secure a prosecution.

To report suspicious activity call Derbyshire police on 101, the non-emergency number. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously with information about crime on 0800 555 111.

Message from Sarah Jackson, Community Involvement Officer

Can I ask that you urge your members to take note. Interestingly Smartwater can be used to mark the inside of vehicles so if your members have some, advise them that they can use it on van and 4x4 parts and then stick one of the Smartwater stickers in their car window.

Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

handy

• View Profile
Re: Warning!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
The company i work for as had one stolen but it was in Sheffield big money in it i think, and if  they are using pipe cutters to remove them i think my work mate said .
I intend to live forever. So far, so good - But, too many Birthdays can kill you.

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Warning!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Sainsburys (not Chesterfield though) have had them nicked from online delivery vans
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk