Author Topic: Watch out !! for sneaky speed camera bikes !!  (Read 1267 times)

Tarzan

• View Profile
Watch out !! for sneaky speed camera bikes !!
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
I was travelling up Loundsley Green rd this morning when i spotted someone in a hi-viz jacket in the distance, as i got closer i spotted a motorbike blocking the pavement, with a tripod next to it. After doing a bit of digging, it would appear that these things are operated by Derbyshire Crest,  the same people that operate speed camera vans.  These kind of tactics can hardly be called a deterent, & unless they have a camera facing away, they won't catch motorbikes, nor will they catch the growing number of illegal drivers in this area, who don't have driving licences & use "pool" cars. I also would like to know if they turn out at night, when this road is used as a drag strip ?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:16:05 PM by Tarzan »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Watch out !! for sneaky speed camera bikes !!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 01:15:19 AM »
I doubt that was a legally enforceable speed camera. More like a neighbourhood watch scheme who will send letters out to folk they 'clock' asking them to slow down. I've seen it times many at Style near Manchester Airport.
I'm not sure how they legally get the owner details of the reg number ?
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »
Yes I too came across them during my work. They have been out and about a good few years now, but the ones I saw always seemed to be Police motorcyclists.

Gone are the days of a policeman sat in front of a briefcase on a small folding table sat on the pavement waiting for you to drive over the yellow "cable" across the road, that's how they got me in 1986, £28 fine and three points
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
Community Speedwatch teams: You CAN be penalised for exceeding speed limits....( above comment re Neighbourhood Watch teams)

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
One day my son and his mother were walking past the tesco petrol station on newbold road, my son noticed a large quantity of nails on the road, he saw a so called safety camera van parked a little way down the road and went and told them about the nails and their only response was that the knew about the nails, certainly dispells the myth that these vans are there to make the roads safer.

kromercap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »

Gone are the days of a policeman sat in front of a briefcase on a small folding table sat on the pavement waiting for you to drive over the yellow "cable" across the road, that's how they got me in 1986, £28 fine and three points

I remember those.
Around that time I was working as a "drivers mate" on HGV's.

The favorite trick the drivers had was to run the unit over the cable and then slam on the trailer air-brake, locking the rear wheels.
This would drag the cable, the recorder unit and it's little picknick table into the road, wrecking the lot.

The drivers always had the excuse that a pedestrian/cyclist/cat etc. had run into the road in front of them and so they had to brake hard.
In those happy days before dashcams and CCTV nobody could prove any different.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »
Our village is just setting up to have a community speed watch group as we have problems with motorists racing around our village.
They are volunteers and have police training.
Our Parish Council has agreed to pay for their equipment for them to be able to do this
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 08:29:21 PM »
One day my son and his mother were walking past the tesco petrol station on newbold road, my son noticed a large quantity of nails on the road, he saw a so called safety camera van parked a little way down the road and went and told them about the nails and their only response was that the knew about the nails, certainly dispells the myth that these vans are there to make the roads safer.

The reason for this is usually a property nearby has had some work done there and virtually without fail you well find discarded nails and self tappers where the rear of a business vehicle had stood. I live on a crescent and we have Rykneld vans visiting properties on there on a fairly regular basis, so after they have gone {especially joiners} I take a quick walk pass the property and lo and behold there they are strewn on the road ready for any passing tyre so I clear them up. Once again with some drivers it's the "Not my problem" attitude, well it doesn't bother them does it, they've just created it for everybody else..... including me.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

bransoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
Our village is just setting up to have a community speed watch group as we have problems with motorists racing around our village.
They are volunteers and have police training.
Our Parish Council has agreed to pay for their equipment for them to be able to do this
Saw some of these on Somersall Lane near the entrance to the park last week. There are loads of problems on Somersall Lane with folk speeding and not even the recent fatal crash has made folk think about what they are doing.

Seems the community speed watch group is locals trying to get something sorted although i'm not sure what happens if someone does speed past them, do they pass info to the police who can then prosecute or is it purely data gathering and then nothing will probably come of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk