Author Topic: Anyone voting on Thursday?  (Read 8120 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Anyone voting on Thursday?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
>> Unlike the political parties you wouldn't expect an independent to have the money to waste on large printing and distribution costs for propaganda either.

Why is it a "waste"?

If it is important enough for the government to have a national ballot, then they should have addressed this problem in the first place. Or do they think we are all clairvoyant...  ;)
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
One of the political based posters I saw was of a police helmet being cut up by scissors with strap lines like "Tories record on policing x'000 police cut" or something like that. And the line "That's why you should vote Labour on Nov 15th"

Nothing but political spin, garbage and an item that a PCC could do naff all about anyway, purely designed to get votes from one political camp based on nothing more than their own biased view.

I saw the Labour spin, 'Tories to cut 15,000 police jobs. Vote Labour.'
And .  .  .  .  .
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:28:57 PM by Fly »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:36:21 PM by Pete »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Didn't know I could alter the icon at the side of a posters title just by clicking on it LOL
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:36:00 PM by Pete »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
Prolly because you're a mod - try it with a member account.

Yep - that does it :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:35:46 PM by Pete »

Our_Lass

• Gone fishing ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
It's a mod thing, doesn't work for me.
 C:-)

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
I've got 2 postal votes sat here (we always get postal votes, its a hangover from when we both used to work on election days and the council get more money that way!!). I suspect they will remain unused.
Is Rod Hutton the tory or one of the independants.
ps for what its worth I wouldn't trust Alan Charles as far as I could throw him but its got nowt to do with his political alliegence.

Why's that then?

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »

Dear Barry,

In a few hours private security companies like G4S could be on their way to controlling big parts of Derbyshire police. The new police and crime commissioner elections are tomorrow (Thursday 15th) and there’s a big danger that pro-privatisation candidates could get in with just a few votes.

That’s why we need to sound the alarm and get our friends and family to the polling stations armed with the facts. Over the last few days, 38 Degrees members have emailed all the candidates to find out who supports privatisation. You can see what your candidates say about privatisation at the bottom of this email.

Please forward this email to your friends and family to get them to go and vote.

Hardly anyone knows that these elections are even happening - experts reckon less than one in five people could vote. That means there’s a huge danger that we could end up with commissioners that few people even voted for privatising our police forces.

Voting is easy - you just go along to your polling station, probably the same place as you would vote in a general election. Polling stations are open from 7am until 10pm so it's easy to go before or after work and you don't even need to bring your polling card with you.

Please forward this email to your family and friends, and remind them to vote in the police elections tomorrow, or share a reminder to vote on Facebook by clicking this link:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/police-election-fb

Thanks for being involved,

James, David, Hannah and the 38 Degrees team

Here’s what the Derbyshire candidates said to 38 Degrees members about privatisation. Not all of them have given a clear answer about privatisation, some have made a distinction between “back office” and “frontline” privatisation. Others have said they won’t privatise but may consider outsourcing - having a private company take over some parts of the work that police forces do.

David Gale (UKIP):
Please visit this page to see my position on the matters raised in your questions: http://www.davidgaleukip.org.uk/index.php/80-editorial/81-manifesto

To answer your last question directly, I do not have any links to any companies interested in police contracts and have a track record of holding government to account on lobbied interests of suppliers as a brief Google search will demonstrate.

Rod Hutton (Independent):
I have made it clear in my campaign and on my campaign website - www.rod4derbyshirepcc.com that I am opposed to the privatisation of our police service in Derbyshire. As someone who works in the business & commercial world I understand profit & loss accounts and balance sheets but this is an essential public service that needs objectivity, impartiality, and experience, and where there are efficiencies or savings then these should be ploughed back into the service and NOT given to shareholders. I find that approach quite abhorrent. This view obviously comes on the back of 19yrs service as an MSC officer up to Inspector level with the Metropolitan Police in London and in my business & commercial experience getting businesses back onto their feet either before or post administration of the company. Having also worked with Europe's largest Spa company as head of group revenue with units in India, France, & Switzerland I have a raft of different experiences to bring to this role but fundamentally have a problem with profit for an essential public service.

I have many close friends & colleagues within the policing world from PCSO to senior management who all encouraged me to go for this role to also help ensure that the public had a voice in their local policing services that works alongside Community Safety Initiatives and that there are no dotted line responsibilities to any London political party HQ. Having moved here to start a family 7yrs ago Derbyshire needs will come first.

Simon Spencer (Conservatives):
Thank you for contacting me about the the future of Derbyshire Police. I can can absolutely confirm that there is no question of privatising the police. As the Home Secretary has made crystal clear, the crime fighters will remain police officers, patrolling will not be privatised and policing will remain a public service, accountable to the people and carried out by consent. The law prevents the jobs police officers do from being delivered by private contractors beyond the limited powers of transport and custody conferred by the last labour government.
When it comes to the work that goes on behind the scenes- things like administration, IT and maintenance- if savings can be made by collaborating with other forces, other emergency services, local authorities or private companies I will look at them. It is vital that as much of our policing budget as possible is directed to front line policing, and not wasted on expensive and inefficient administration.
I can confirm that I have no ties to any private companies such as G4S.

Alan Charles (Labour):
* Can you promise not to privatise Derbyshire police services? Yes

* Will you allow companies like G4S to get involved in the running of Derbyshire police? No

* Do you have any connection to companies that might be interested in police contracts? No

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »
My only question would be

"Are you prepared upon election to change your name to "Gordon?"

Only a "yes" secures my vote.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
Most of my former colleagues on duty today are reporting that the winner  will be apathy.
21 in 5 hours is the largest turn out I've come across.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk