Author Topic: Chesterfield Hippodrome  (Read 4416 times)

Pastitman

• View Profile
Chesterfield Hippodrome
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »
Many  well  known  stars  appeared  at  the  Hippodrome  over  the  years  but  who  or  what  act  was  the  last  to  appear  before  its  closure?  Any  thoughts, 
Do  what  you  can,  while  you  can!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield Hippodrome
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Some Hustle 1923 is the last one I can find up to now pastitman but I will scroll through the links where I found the Crown hotel info and see if there is anything in there
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
Thought I'd add this to the Thread

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/39469

Pastitman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
Thanks  for  the  info  and  picture, what  memories.  My  grandfather  used  to  work  the  stage  spotlights  in  the  1920s  and  met  many  stars  of  the  time. I  do  just  recall  seeing  Norman  Evans  and  others  there  around  1949 - 54  and  I  was  told  that  I  did  see  Laurel  and  Hardy  but  sadly  that  does  evade  me.
Do  what  you  can,  while  you  can!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »
I thought I had 'cracked it' when I found the Derbyshire Times archives  - then they wanted 'money' to get into them.
Maybe the Chesterfield Library archives would shed some light on who played last there?

http://forebears.co.uk/england/derbyshire/chesterfield

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
I might have mentioned this before on another thread about the Hippodrome, but my mum's family used to have a boarding house on Corporation Street and took in many 'artistes'.  I have some signed photo's (when I can lay my hands on them!) from some of the boarders.  I don't think they were particularly famous.

In later years, members of my dad's family bought the derelict Hippodrome building and turned it into a car sales pitch. Before the building was demolished, (when I was aged about 4) I was given a grand tour of the stage and dressing rooms and allowed to do a little tap dance performance on the stage for my mum, dad and uncle who sat in the stalls.  I recall there were no lights on the stage, just the ones lighting the auditorium.  The smell of dampness and fustiness was very strong too.   Funny what sticks in your mind isn't it?  :)

~Aitch~

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:37 PM »
I remember going to the Hippodrome in the early 50's to see Dick Whittington.  An adult in a "cat" suit came into the auditorium and I remember being terrified at the sight of this 6' tall creature. 

johnsc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 08:32:46 AM »
Hi, my late Dad was drummer with Gladys Hay and The Harmonists. In week commencing 15 December 1941, they played at the Hippodrome in either Chestefield or Derby. Please could anyone help me verify, as I'm trying to put together his engagements list? I'll be most grateful. John

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum John Have you contacted Chesterfield History Society. They may be able to help.
Good luck  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk