Author Topic: Pensions  (Read 11846 times)

Kent

• View Profile
Pensions
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Received this email  today....any truth in this.

Read on and pass on!!

Dear Prime Minister The RT. Hon. David Cameron, MP.

I wish to ask you a Question:-  "Is This True?"

I refer to the Pension Reality Check.   

Are you aware of the following ?

The British Government provides the following financial assistance:-

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER

(bearing in mind they worked hard and paid their Income Tax and

National Insurance contributions to the British Government all their

working life) 

Weekly allowance: £106.00?       

IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN

(No Income Tax and National Insurance contribution whatsoever)

Weekly allowance: £250.00

Weekly Spouse Allowance: £25.00?       

ILLEGAL  IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN

Weekly Spouse Allowance: £225.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £0.00?     

ILLEGAL  IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £100.00

A  British old age pensioner is no less hard up than an illegal

immigrant/refugee yet receives nothing

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT £6,000?       

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £29,900

Please read all and then forward to all your contacts so that we can

lobby for a decent state pension.

After all, the average pensioner has paid taxes and contributed to the

growth of this country for the last 40 to 60 years.

Sad isn't it? Surely it's about time we put our own people first.

Please have the guts to forward this.

I JUST DID!

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Pensions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
It's a hoax mate - been circulating in Canada and Australia apparently.

Added:

Detailed Analysis
According to this widely circulated protest message, an asylum seeker (refugee) in the UK is eligible to receive a much higher weekly benefit payment from the British government than do aged pensioners who have lived and worked in the country for years before retirement. It decries this apparent disparity in benefit amounts as unfair to British pensioners. The claims in the message have caused much consternation among British citizens.

However, the claims in the message are untrue. The refugee payment figures stated in the protest message bear no relation whatsoever to the amounts actually payed to refugees. In fact, the message is nothing more than a UK specific version of an email hoax that has circulated in Australia, the US and Canada for several years. The rumour first began circulating in 2004 after an inaccurate and misleading letter to the editor was published in a Canadian newspaper. This initial Canadian version was dismissed as a hoax by government entity Citizenship and Immigration Canada and other credible sources.

Unfortunately, the false protest message later spawned other, equally spurious, versions set in several different countries. As early as 2007, an Australian version of the hoax was circulating. The message caused a great deal of anger and resentment among recipients and has been discussed at length on various talk-back radio shows and in letters to the editor in newspapers across the country. However, the information in the Australian version of the message is also total nonsense and in no way reflects the real level of entitlements for refugees or pensioners in Australia. The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship was compelled to publish information refuting the false rumours.

And the UK government has also published information dismissing the UK version of the protest email as false. A briefing paper available on the UK Parliament website denounces the claims in the message as a hoax, noting in part:

The email contains text from a protest email which has been circulating in Australia for some time now, but which may have originated in Canada. Versions also circulate in the United States, and elements even appear in protest emails as far afield as India. The UK version has been adapted, somewhat crudely, for a domestic audience by someone or some organisation unknown. The figures quoted bear no relation whatsoever to the situation in the United Kingdom.

The briefing paper also provides details about the actual entitlements for UK pensioners and those seeking asylum in the UK:

Actual entitlements for people from abroad and UK pensioners

“Illegal immigrants” are people who have entered the UK unlawfully, or who have stayed here for longer than they were allowed without making another application. They do not have the right to work. Since they are in the UK without legal status, they are liable to be removed if they come to the attention of immigration authorities.

People who require leave to enter or remain in the UK, but who do not have it, are ‘persons subject to immigration control’ within the meaning of section 115 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and as such are not eligible for social security benefits, except those which depend on National Insurance contributions, such as contribution-based JSA. However, it is highly unlikely that a person in the UK without legal status will have a sufficient NI contribution record to gain entitlement to contributory benefits.

“Refugees” – i.e. asylum seekers whose application for asylum has been successful – are able to claim social security benefits and tax credits on the same basis as UK nationals, but may find it difficult to gain entitlement to contributory benefits since these depend upon the person having a sufficient contribution record.

The figures in the final column of the table in the email bear no relation to any UK out-of-work benefit rates. The current rate of income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, for example, is £65.45 a week for a single person aged 25 or over, or £102.75 for a couple. People in receipt of out-of-work benefits may also receive Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, but the table does not mention assistance with housing costs.

Asylum seekers – i.e. persons waiting for a decision on an asylum application - are not entitled to mainstream non-contributory social security benefits including income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Housing Benefit. Instead, they may be eligible for accommodation and/or financial support from the UK Border Agency. Cash support for asylum seekers is less generous than social security benefits; for example, a single person.

Thus this protest email is nothing more than a British version of an utterly false rumour that began life in Canada and has since spread around the world. Regardless of your views on the handling of refugees, spreading such misinformation will help no one and will serve only to muddy the waters of what is often a complex and contentious issue. If you receive a version of this hoax please do not forward it to others. And please take a moment to let the sender know that the information in the protest message is untrue.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:42:18 PM by Pete »
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
Good post Pete. This myth has been going round email and facebook probably perpetrated by the likes of the BNP & EDL. We have enough racial tension in the world already .

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
TBH Slacker, I did a bit of research at Google before I answered the OP (you read so many stories of benefit fraud in the press) just to make sure that it wasn't true.

There are lurid tales of massive benefit abuse, but some papers, notably the Sun, Mail and Telegraph, that always look for stories involving foreigners to appeal to an audience that has been let down by New Labour and now by the LibDemCon coalition.

Of course people wanting to improve their lives will try and get into our country, but it is the job of the government of the day to stop it.

*puts soap box away*

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Good post Pete, I thought somebody on here would answer my question of truth.
i have not sent it on, and will delete accordingly.
Though there could have been some believable truth in it, given the track record
of our social system and past British governments.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
The current government has just reversed some of the good work done by the previous one regarding child tax credits. Some people interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show the other day that work part time now say they will be financially better off giving up work and going on to benefits.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
It doesn't take away the fact that the pension is crap though. I have worked from being 15years old with only a 5 year gap after my daughter was born. I always paid the full single womans insurance even when married (not sure if they do that now?) I'm now pension age and still working although only a small amount these days. The full womens pension has just gone up to just over £500 and month, we are expected to live on THAT. It doesn't go down well when I have worked all my life and see others who can't be bothered to even TRY to get work, holding their hands out and getting benefits.

I know for a fact that families who are disfunctional get more help than famlies who do there best with what they get and it does make me angry  >:( I reckon it's time they brought back some kind of a voucher scheme for these disfuncional families so that the money given goes for what it is intended and DLA awarded is also used for the purpose intended.
Rant over.  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:20:36 AM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
Good point about voucher systems but it could be argued equally to apply to any benefits? Would you agree with a system that forced pensioners to spend money on heating rather than cigarettes?

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »
I certainly would Slacker and too much booze --- even drugs if they use them --- mind boggles a coke taking pensioner  :o  :)
 Much of the problem with all this I think is to do with departments not 'working together in partnerships' in each area. Maybe too big a task I don't know - but  - if they did I reckon they could tighten the reigns of some people who are milking it. I know there are many others who are not milking the system and struggling along, needs money freeing up don't you think.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
It's too late OC... LOL

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
I certainly would Slacker and too much booze --- even drugs if they use them --- mind boggles a coke taking pensioner  :o  :)
 Much of the problem with all this I think is to do with departments not 'working together in partnerships' in each area. Maybe too big a task I don't know - but  - if they did I reckon they could tighten the reigns of some people who are milking it. I know there are many others who are not milking the system and struggling along, needs money freeing up don't you think.

Oh slacker.. to me that is being picky.....same goes for those that spend most of their money on booze, sky TV, and even have
cars...which costs hell of a lot more money than a pensioner who smokes.

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »
Sorry, got the wrong quote. should have been Slackers

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
If I read you right Kenty, I agree with you. Too many do-gooders telling people what they can and cant do, if you ask me.

If you've worked, and paid NI, to retiring age from school, you have EARNED your pension - then some smart-arse comes along and tells you what to do.

Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »
Yep you got me Pete, but what gets under my skin, is the fact that the whole benefits system was
set-up for the unfortunate people who lost their jobs. not for some Scrounger to come along
and live of the state, then demand luxuries, because those people who have WORKED all their
lives, have EARNED THEM.
Then LOW and behold, some DO-GOODER FASCIST AGREES WITH THEM, AND DEFENDS THEM.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
If I read you right Kenty, I agree with you. Too many do-gooders telling people what they can and cant do, if you ask me.

If you've worked, and paid NI, to retiring age from school, you have EARNED your pension - then some smart-arse comes along and tells you what to do.

You just called slacker a smart arse  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk