Author Topic: EU Cookie policy  (Read 1838 times)

chesterfieldchris

EU Cookie policy
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: EU Cookie policy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
Don't worry about that Chris - we're aware of what needs doing.

The whole legislation is a joke, we've spent years telling people not to download files to their hard drives and now the powers that be want us to put a notice on out site saying "Do you mind if we place a small file on your computer?"  :o

In May of 2011, when the law came into force, they gave folks a year to get their act together and hardly anyone did anything so they hastily changed their tune the day before the time ran out.

They put a video on the ICO site to explain - I only got halfway through it before considering suicide... And the explanatory booklet from ICO is 30 odd pages long and the trickiest read I've seen in a long time.

Basically they changed from having to give express permission to the visitor to a more reasonable "implied" permission, allowing folks to ignore it all together.

Some friends with ecomm stores are livid about it - it's hard enough these days getting folks to spend without scary notices on their sites.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Plus half the websites we now visit have annoying pop-ups or balloon messages annoying us  ::)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
In truth, Chris, it's not the audit and installation that cost much, it's more the loss of visitors, the ones that scare easily...

Also most forum and blog software have free plug-ins that do the job.

We will sort a site for £90 but I once heard of some w*nkers that charged five grand to sort seven sites... Just a bunch of opportunists preying on the nervous - frightened by tales of hefty fines. I've not actually heard of anyone being busted yet.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
The sooner we vacate the EU the better for everyone.

If only......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk