Author Topic: Euro's back to sterling  (Read 2079 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Euro's back to sterling
« on: September 14, 2019, 12:09:42 PM »
Having just got back off holiday had quite a few euro's left so went back to travel agent to exchange them.

This time we took more than we needed {for emergencies} as I no longer take my c/c abroad with me.
When we purchased the euro's we were asked if we wanted to pay extra for the buy back guarantee {only a few extra quid} and I said no, that no as it turns out has cost me dearly as I must have lost the equivalent of at least £40 in the buy back exchange. 

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Euro's back to sterling
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »
Having just got back off holiday had quite a few euro's left so went back to travel agent to exchange them.

This time we took more than we needed {for emergencies} as I no longer take my c/c abroad with me.
When we purchased the euro's we were asked if we wanted to pay extra for the buy back guarantee {only a few extra quid} and I said no, that no as it turns out has cost me dearly as I must have lost the equivalent of at least £40 in the buy back exchange.

Good grief  :-?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »
I always keep hold of any I have left, and just top them up for the next holiday.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
I always keep hold of any I have left, and just top them up for the next holiday.

I think we've still got a couple of hundred quid worth in the safe (y)
Failing that, I'd have sold them to a friend or family member for the going rate commission free.
There's always someone travelling to somewhere in Europe.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »

That's what we usually do but we have made a conscious decision not to go abroad anymore. It's got to the point where it isn't a great deal cheaper than it once was, and more importantly the majority of Brits abroad are an embarrassment so we intend to holiday here where possible there's no euro's, I can use my car, and any bus trips are free and gratis.
Besides there's so much of this country we've never visited before.........

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »
Besides there's so much of this country we've never visited before.........

We were slowly working our way down the list of places to go in the Uk in between visits abroad.
Abroad is now off the menu, and travelling more than a couple of hours is starting to look a bit of a no go too now.
Never mind, we've still got the memories lol. Lots of them  C:-) :)) 8)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:32:44 PM »

We do that Alsatian, in fact the last Caribbean holiday we had Keith had taken euro's as well by mistake and we had to sort it all out  :))

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »

I spoke to my brother about us not going abroad anymore and it turns out he is going in a couple of weeks time as he looks forward to his hols in the sun.{If I had known he was going I could have sold the euro's to him}

I have sat and worked out just how much it cost us in "extras" to have this holiday and I'm not surprised, I'm astounded.
Broken down between the taxi to and from the airport, hols insurance , tourist tax and the safe rental when there, and not forgetting being ripped off on the euro buy back {which turned out to be even MORE than I thought} that little lot comes to approximately £190.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
Well, there's a huge doubt as to whether I'll have chance to spend our euros anyway!

We're booked to go to Lanzarotte at the beginning of October.................. with Thomas Cook! Apparently if they don't come up with £200m pounds in the next few days they'll be going bust!

We're ATOL protected, so we should get our money back (but when is another matter), but, if they do go belly up, there'll be thousands of people all looking for another holiday.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 07:43:22 PM »
According to the news they are in a catch 22 situation.
They want people coming into their shops to book holidays and to get some money rolling in, but at the same time who would be crazy enough to walk into one of their shops tomorrow to book a holiday knowing what you and everyone else now knows.

This is the chance travel companies take when travelling to {potentially} volatile parts of the world, profits are good but usually short lived.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
Off to Skeggy Butlins soon for a few days, (depending on Our_Lass). Wonder if they will accept Euros LOL   >: C:-)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
Off to Skeggy Butlins soon for a few days, (depending on Our_Lass). Wonder if they will accept Euros LOL   >: C:-)

We were in Ingoldmells at the beginning of September.
For me it was a working holiday but the sun shone and we all enjoyed it.
I found some great chalets/ bungalows a couple of years ago on one of the Caravan sites which accommodate our needs exactly for the two special needs adults I take.
Unfortunately Fly no one took Euros to my knowledge  ;D but enjoy your break anyway  (y)

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »
Follow the demise of Thomas Cook, our holiday to Lanzarotte next week has hit the skids.

Fortunately we've managed to book another holiday at the same resort and for the same dates, just a different hotel. We're ATOL protected, so getting our money back should be just a formality.

What I find ludicrous is the fact that Simon Calder (travel expert) said on BBC Breakfast show that at 23:59 last night, he managed to still book a holiday with Thomas Cook!

I feel sorry for the people that have booked future holidays and are unable, for whatever reason, to rebook. Also all the Thomas Cook staff who now find themselves out of work and no doubt are owed back wages.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »
Also all the Thomas Cook staff who now find themselves out of work and no doubt are owed back wages.

I've no doubt that most of the T.C. staff {especially those working abroad} are gutted and are doing their best for the "stranded" holidaymakers, but I can't help feeling that some of them, after being told their out of a job, would have liked to have told T.C. where to go and waltzed off into the sunset and await their redundancy. Unfortunately they would probably have been told if you throw your dummies out of the pram and refuse to help you'll get now't.
I also heard in some hotels, I think in Turkey armed guards were stopping T.C. tourists leaving till they had paid [again] for the room.
I know it's not the holiday makers fault but it doesn't look like the ground staffs fault either.
My wife watched a holiday programme yesterday and it mentioned Benidorm, it said approximately 5 million brits  just visit Benidorm every year {and some visit more than once a year} just imagine how many have booked with T.C.

Another reason to holiday in this country     

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »
I'm pleased you will still get your holiday Alsatian .
Sorastro, i watched the Turkey saga and I'm disgusted. hoteliers who did this should be taken out of all UK tour companies books!

I had to cancel two cruises earlier this years because of illness, we lost the deposit but hey ho that's how it goes sometimes.
Since then we have booked again for next year to go for a month to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. Our insurance cover for THIS year was quite pricey for the two weeks we booked initially NEXT year it is much cheaper - why - because we won't be flying into America!!
Robbers !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk