Author Topic: Great news for Ashover countryside sites  (Read 1315 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Great news for Ashover countryside sites
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »
I'm really pleased about this news.

Ashover Rock in particular was a place we would walk to from our village on  Easter Monday, and I remember people from Clay Cross doing the same.
I often wondered why, and not so long ago found out that the tradition went back to the Ashover Light Railway time.

Ir was a tradition, we as young people, and even I with my daughter would keep - not necessarily on Esater Monday either.
I have a photo of my self with friends as teenagers sat on Ashover rock on new years Day.

Three popular countryside sites that we've transformed have been declared Local Nature Reserves.

Ashover Rock, Eddlestow Lot and Highoredish have qualified for the status because they're important heathland habitats which offer a valuable place for a variety of wildlife and plants to live. 

Deputy Cabinet Member for Highways, Transport and Infrastructure Councillor John Owen said:

"We're delighted to see that our hard work has paid off.
"Ashover Rock, Eddlestow Lot and Highoredish are well loved places that generations of people have visited to enjoy the stunning views.

"By receiving Local Nature Reserves status, we are able to protect and enhance the features that make these sites important for the benefit of people and wildlife."

The sites are situated within Ashover Parish and are managed with help from volunteers and organisations such as Bolsover Woodlands Enterprise and Derbyshire Wildlife Trust.

We've been improving the sites over recent years before submitting the application to Natural England.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Kent

• View Profile
Re: Great news for Ashover countryside sites
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
When we were kids, we used walk up to the rock from Holmgate every Easter,
then walk down the path into 'Asher', passing that Bungalow which had a Stone
Bust on top of an extension, With Glass Eyes, making it look Scarey.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
Think I've driven past Ashover Rock, but never parked up and had a stroll around. Spose I oughta one day  (y)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »
Some good photo's up there Fly we worth a walk up.
Kent, it sounds as if you followed the same tradition we followed.
I the Light Railway days, people flocked to Ashover and to the park where there was a place to have tea and a picnic.
I hasten to add I can't remember that time though.  ;)
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk