Author Topic: Pub names  (Read 803 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Pub names
« on: March 11, 2022, 11:44:33 AM »
I do not understand why it is necessary when re opening a pub to re name it.

The failings of the pub, usually by it's previous owners, may be numerous but I've never heard of someone boycotting a pub, or the pub failing just because of it's name. In fact I'll go as far as to say that in retrospect re naming a pub is, 90% of the time, the kiss of death, in some cases some pubs have had 3 or more names as they've transformed over the years and the new names very rarely cut it, the mucky duck is a classic example now the Pig and Pump WHY!!! the Phoenix another.
 Take for example the Welbeck {now the Hidden Knight} why re name a pub that's probably been on the site with the original name for millennia, it's not the pubs names fault, that's the only thing that for certain isn't to blame for it's failure.
Yes over the years certain pubs got a reputation, some really bad reputations but that's only down to clientele or the standard of beer served or maybe bad management or a culmination of any or all of those.

So why reopen as Hidden Knight what on earth was wrong with the Welbeck?
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: Pub names
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 12:54:35 PM »
I quite agree....there was a pub at The Brushes, pleasant to sit outside and drink....but it changed its name twice in the short time we have lived in the area....after the second change it closed within weeks... Now apartments..
Regulars still call the pub by it's former name anyway!

Rheged

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 11:36:35 PM »
Only took about 35 years for The Crown & Cushion to get it's name back.
There can't be many pubs on Chatsworth Road that retain their former name.

Masons Arms - The Junction.    Royal Oak - Spotted Frog.   New Inn - Tramway Tavern.   Red Lion - Crafty Dog.   To name but a few!
It's OK if you don't like me.
Not everyone has good taste!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 07:00:37 PM »
I do not like this name chaninging and refuse to convert.
Our Royal Oak on Derby Road is now the Tupton Tap - but it will always be the Royal Oak to me.
We should not be trying to change our history
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 08:01:33 PM »
Apart from them re naming them you have to sometimes remember what the new names are. For decades people have been stopped in the street, usually by lost motorists, and for the same amount of time the directions given have included pubs, this is almost an impossibility now for people of my age, now if I gave directions to  Holmgate from say Derby rd Birdholme  I would automatically say "turn right at the Royal Oak!!!"

Hasland "go past the New inn"

Thankfully most motorists nowadays are too busy looking at their phones to notice pedestrians.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk