Author Topic: M & S to move from town centre  (Read 1253 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
M & S to move from town centre
« on: March 30, 2022, 02:18:39 PM »
Just found out M&S will be taking over the old Debenhams store on the retail park later in the year.

At first glance it seems like a good idea...but:-
I don't see the move as being welcomed by the vast majority of their customers, everyone knows the feelings towards the retail park and it's stance on parking, not everyone will have a car and they will wish to shop in other outlets in the town so the thought of walking down to the retail park {either parking in town or getting off the bus in town} won't appeal to many. Parking on the site means you can't walk anywhere else or you risk a fine. I believe the business they pick up by customers being able to park outside the store will be eroded by their old customers who don't want to walk down there.
Even the regional manager for M&S has said "We appreciate this move may be disappointing news to some" so it sounds like he's thinking along the same lines.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: M & S to move from town centre
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 04:57:23 PM »
I'd heard whispers about that a while ago.

I feel the same as you do about it, having worked the in the early noughties, their core customer is the older generation (many of whom do not drive) and the workers that pop in on their lunch hour, along with a few other town centre shops. Can you see an older person coming into town on the bus then walk down to Ravenside, only to walk back up into town to get a bus home?

Neither of these will want to/not have the time to spend going between the town centre and Ravenside.

The only people to benefit from this move are the delivery drivers, it was a right job for them reversing into the loading bay whilst watching out for both traffic and pedestrians.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 09:05:10 AM »
A bad move...a few more like this, and the town will be full of rubbish shops...just look at Sheffield...

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 05:33:46 PM »
The death of M+S Chesterfield me thinks.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 10:12:45 AM »
Oh dear M&S is one of my favourite stops when in Chesterfield - and I don't have many of these these days in the ghost town!
The parking will be an issue!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 08:35:27 PM »
We were in town yesterday and the wife popped into M&S and stood behind an old lady at the checkout, she said the lady was giving the bloke on the checkout short shrift about the move and finished by saying that when the move comes they will lose her custom as she is not prepared to walk down to the retail park.

I still don't understand why they are moving, where they are in town is a prime location and the shop {to me} seems the right size.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 10:23:00 AM »
There's a letter in the D.T. basically echoing what i said about M&S and i couldn't have put it better myself.

Rheged

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 10:04:32 PM »
Our daughter worked at M&S Head Office in London around 12 or 13 years ago. During her time there, she was delighted that our Chesterfield Store had been listed for a total refurbishment and not inexpensive refit, as there were many issues with the building.

Suffice to say, that the project never happened, hence the plan to move to a modern building close, but not in the main shopping area.
It's OK if you don't like me.
Not everyone has good taste!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk