Author Topic: Heat  (Read 1139 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Heat
« on: July 15, 2022, 06:38:31 AM »
We are predicted to reach 37deg here in Chesterfield next Monday and Tuesday - have we ever had that temperature before?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 08:45:00 AM »
I don't know, but I am just so glad it isn't snowing...imagine having to clear your driveway in this heat.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 12:54:34 PM »
We are predicted to reach 37deg here in Chesterfield next Monday and Tuesday - have we ever had that temperature before?

Apparently 38.7 in 2019 but they forecast it could be broken in the next few days.
Another reason I'm glad I didn't book a holiday abroad, apart from the airport chaos, it's at melting point on most of the continent so you would spend most of your holiday there keeping out of the sun......
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 04:45:03 PM »
I don't know, but I am just so glad it isn't snowing...imagine having to clear your driveway in this heat.

:)) :)) :))

Rheged

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 12:04:24 AM »
3rd July 1976 the temp was recorded in Cheltenham at 35.9C (96.6F)
The 1976 British Isles heat wave led to the second hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began. At the same time, the country suffered a severe drought. It was one of the driest, sunniest and warmest summers in the 20th century, although the summer of 1995 is now regarded as the driest.
Incidentally, whilst on holiday in Tunisia a few years ago, right on the edge of the Sahara desert, we had a 'heat bomb' lasting a couple of hours of 52C, murderously hot!!
It's OK if you don't like me.
Not everyone has good taste!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 07:22:44 AM »
So hopefully we all got through the heat?
Any tips on how you managed to keep as cool as possible?
Meanwhile we set off for a week in good old Cleethorpes on the Monday just as it was hotting up to roast us all.
Having ditched the cruising malarky for awhile - just can't do with all the faffing which Covid has brought.
We havein't been to Cleethorpes for a long time to stay.
We used a sea front apartment which was actually a lot cooler than our house The sun didn't penetrate into the rooms the same.
I took a small case with a fan in   :)) That's a first!
Still it was a lovely break the only moan I have is that it's CHIPS with everything. we had to search around for somewhere which offered a meal without CHIPS!
A Tip - if you do go and enjoy fish and CHIPS try Papas on the pier  ;)

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
Now that a nationwide hosepipe ban is imminent mainly due to river streams and reservoirs drying up and what's causing it, I have my own theory!

I have been taking a look at bottled water, basically the "free" tap water during Summer is in short supply {no surprise there} but there's an abundance of bottled water in many retail outlets waiting to be purchased.

Approximately 3 BILLION bottles of water are purchased in Britain {alone} each year, that includes 1 litre, 2 litre and 5 litre bottles among others, THAT'S A LOT OF WATER!! and that doesn't include the water being collected now, being transported to the bottling plants, already stored at the plants, already in transit to the retail outlets and the retail outlets bottled water ALREADY in stock. 

There's got to be enough bottled water out there NOW to fill lake Windermere so if water is being "diverted" from it's normal course, so it can be bottled and sold to the public, is there any wonder the streams etc are drying up.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »
Just seen on the news this morning people are moaning about the August weather, too much sun!

The British and the weather................never happy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 04:43:39 PM »
All this sun and heat is doing my head in so i'm getting out of it. Off to Spain for a week ;-) C:-)
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk