Author Topic: Should we have a bypass to improve our air quality?  (Read 3085 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Should we have a bypass to improve our air quality?
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
There's been a debate surface recently in the light of the World Health Organisation report into bad air quality, in which Chesterfield was singled out.

Local MP Toby Perkins is featured on PeakFM arguing the case for a bypass to keep traffic out of our town centre - and I think it's a good idea.

The town has done well through the financial crises but the council seem locked into other vanity projects, how about stopping focusing on retail developments and concentrating on a much-needed plan to improve the basic health of our citizens?

http://bit.ly/1sASqt8
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Should we have a bypass to improve our air quality?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
The inner relief road was supposed to do that but 30 years on the town has outgrown it.
In an ideal world you need a bypass from just above holymoorside to clear the chatsworth road traffic but how would you link it to horns bridge.
Then the brimington Staveley bypass would need building
But the money will never be spent
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
  • Chezzy's Number One Bus Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »
Would just be another planning nightmare - and where would it go - who's houses would have to give way etc.
You only have one life, so live it & love it, & more importantly LOVE YOURSELF!

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Staveley / Brim by pass has been talked about since the 1950s (or earlier) it even showed proposed route on some old maps.

West of Chesterfield would be a bit tricky as it would involve greenfield sites and compulsory purchases whereas a lot of the A61 followed the old rail track.

Mentioning retail developments as a bit of a red herring as any investment there brings back income.

Link roads to the motorways suffer HGV congestion, maybe if the motorways hadn't been built most freight would have stuck with the trains and we wouldn't have lost all the lines

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
>> Mentioning retail developments as a bit of a red herring as any investment there brings back income.

But what about the quality of life for Chesterfield citizens? You're starting to sound like a Tory.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »
I'm sorry, I know I'm biased, but surely the proposed gas extraction site at Calow (lets face it, it won't stop there if it goes through) will only impact further in poor air quality across derbyshire & beyond

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
You're probably right Scimitar, but if the World Health Organisation have us already singled out for pollution, I'd like to see something done about it - not just another development for shops offices and houses. That's just more people coming here and breathing in our filthy air.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
Scarey - my 26 yr old daughter has just gone to hospital because her chest feels heavy & she's not breathing properly - she's gone with  her boyfriend & my son. Awaiting news.....

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
Hope everything's Ok mate  :-X
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
Scarey - my 26 yr old daughter has just gone to hospital because her chest feels heavy & she's not breathing properly - she's gone with  her boyfriend & my son. Awaiting news.....

Hope everything goes okay Scimitar.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »
Even if it is seperate from the bad air problem, polluted air isn't going to help her problem. Needs sorting out.

Best wishes from me too mate.

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
Waiting for a blood test result

Scimitar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »
There's been a debate surface recently in the light of the World Health Organisation report into bad air quality, in which Chesterfield was singled out.

Local MP Toby Perkins is featured on PeakFM arguing the case for a bypass to keep traffic out of our town centre - and I think it's a good idea.

The town has done well through the financial crises but the council seem locked into other vanity projects, how about stopping focusing on retail developments and concentrating on a much-needed plan to improve the basic health of our citizens?

http://bit.ly/1sASqt8
To be fair I have not listened to Toby Perkins comments - only cos I can't at the moment.
Surely a ring road or a tunnel as well  as the existing presence of the M1, are never going to contribute to clean air in derbyshire. It's unworkable as far as I can see

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

West of Chesterfield would be a bit tricky as it would involve greenfield sites and compulsory purchases whereas a lot of the A61 followed the old rail track.

If it didn't go through the countryside it wouldn't be a bypass, it would be a relief road which is what the A61 is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk