Author Topic: Disproportionate punishments?  (Read 5392 times)

Stuart

• View Profile
Disproportionate punishments?
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
Two local stories about this week - speeding motorists on Ashgate Road are to receive letters asking them not to do it again, while five people dropping a fag end (each!) in town are fined anything between £250 and £415. There are aggrevating circumstances for the latter fines - failure to show up in court, etc - but even so, the fines seem a bit steep; for me, the measures could have been reversed. After all, it'd be peculiar if a fag end travelling at 30+ miles an hour towards the pavement put a kid in hospital!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Disproportionate punishments?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
I agree with you on that one Stuart, they say the laws an ass at times and it does seem that way doesn't it.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
They would have only gone to court if they had opted out of paying the fixed penalty. I have brought up the subject of fag ends and apparantly they are a lot harder to pick up than larger litter and whilst one is pretty minimal the cumulative effect is a mess.

As for speeding it depends on how far over the limit they are. I would say 3 or 4 mph is pretty trivial.

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
@ Stuart - totally agree. I was surprised when I read the speeding article - smacks of PR to me.

@ Slacker - Are you saying that they only get letters, rather than being busted, if it is only 3 or 4 miles over the limit?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
Don't know the details of that one. I know some areas offer a one day class on road safety as an alternative to the fine which costs more than the fine but avoids points on the license.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
Don't know the details of that one. I know some areas offer a one day class on road safety as an alternative to the fine which costs more than the fine but avoids points on the license.

Don't get me started on those!!!!!
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Stuart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:29:29 AM »
To me, a chap who drops a single fag end, compared to a person handing out reams of night-club fliers in the couldn't-care-less knowledge that 99% will end up on the street, has only just committed the offence of littering. If only-just speeding merits a warning letter, then so should this. I can't help thinking that, with the disproportionate fines involved, it looks like a cynical money-making machine for a local authority.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:57 AM »
I would rather see failure to clear up after your dog carry a heavier fine but these offenses tend to rarely happen where they are easily spotted

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
Aren't we allowed a small increase in speed over the speed limit, but just for a short distance before being fined?
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Aren't we allowed a small increase in speed over the speed limit, but just for a short distance before being fined?

Yes, I think so....my understanding is that anything up to and including 39mph in a 30 area was 'overlooked', and that 40+ was due action. Although I also think that this depends on the areas Constabulary concerned and may not be 'blanket coverage'.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
Interesting discussion on Jeremy Vine about Lancashire Police Force who are taking a tough line on drivers who flash others to warn them of police speed traps. Charged with misuse of headlights.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
So have they got another policeman parked 100 yards or so up the road????
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »
Presume so. To me it shows the cameras are for money making not a safety issue as they always claim.

I think it is safer to drive at 35mph with your full attention on the road than be constantly watching your speedo to make sure you don't exceed 30.

k4blades

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 09:08:57 AM »
We live in a society full of selfish and stupid people who can't make a common sense decision, lead by authority all too willing to exploit that, to line their own pockets.

Smokers: They are the laziest, dirtiest and most selfish of all, throwing their litter everywhere. The number of times I've seen them throw fag ends on the floor, or pushing a pram with one hand, fag in other. Or before the smoking ban, you sit in a pub/restaraunt with the kids, to have  a meal, and someone on the next table lights up. Raise the issue in discussion and smokers always say...its not me, .....I understand that in the cases mentioned, the fines were so high because of other factors, so be it.
(Chewing gum users come second to smokers on the list)

Dog mess. Should be picked up. But the other day we were out walking at Dovedale, beautiful countryside. And on about 3 occasions we found almost discreetly hidden behind bushes, etc, little plastic bags of pooh. Are they stupid!!!! If you aren't going to take it with you, don't bag it. Mother nature can dispose of it along with all the cow and sheep pooh around there, much better than it can a plastic bag that will take years to bio-degrade!!!!!

Peeing in the street. Simple solution, councils should provide clean and cheap public toilets. If they don't then they can't be surprised when people pee in the street on the way home form the pub, why fine them an on-the-spot fine unless they are doing it as a deliberate act of non-compliance, its something we all have to do, we just need facilities.

Driving. Used as a cash cow and targeting the easy targets as always.
Labour brought in a new law....not to use a mobile while driving. Millions ignore that law because its not policed. Police are more interested in catching people flashing their headlights because its easy money, and the same with speed traps. Cars are a lot more safer than they have ever been, yet there are constant calls to reduce speed limits in built up areas. Check the facts....how many fatalities and serious accidents occur due to someone doing 33 in a 30, its neglible and when it does happen, its usually other factors such as over taking in the wrong place. Most serious accidents are caused by bad driving, for example, the boy racer doing 60 in a 30 and not caring because his car is not registered, taxed, insured, etc. There was already a law that could deal with mobile phones..driving without due care and attention...but it needs police to do the job of policing, not siting on their areses in speed traps looking for the next easy buck.

School holidays. Another example of authority looking for a quick buck. I was at school last night being lectured about taking the kids out of school during term time for a holiday, it could potentially lead to being fined. What nonsense, regular truancy should be followed up on, and persistently poor attendance should be dealt with, if neccessary by fining. But pupils/parents who have otherwise excellent attendance should not be made to feel  like satan because once a year they take their kids on holidays, which after all, is good for the childrens overall well being and development. Yet ironically, they can close the school just like that for inset days, half inch of snow, or strikes.....Again, there are lots of soutons, such as reforming the current school year, etc....but why let common sense get in the way........I've even known a teacher advise that instead of rewquesting a holiday, its better just to phone in and say your child has measels for a week.

And we think we live in a free society.....wrong we live in a society where mini-dictators try to control every aspect of our lives, but without them, the selfish and stupid people would make all our lives a misery, so we have to put up with it.
Don't we??????

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
We live in a society full of selfish and stupid people who can't make a common sense decision, lead by authority all too willing to exploit that, to line their own pockets.

And we think we live in a free society.....wrong we live in a society where mini-dictators try to control every aspect of our lives, but without them, the selfish and stupid people would make all our lives a misery, so we have to put up with it.
Don't we??????

Id agree on both points.  Sometimes makes me wonder if common sense is real or myth.
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk