Author Topic: Libor  (Read 2657 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Libor
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
Can anyone explain to me in simple English what the Barclays/Libor thingy is all about?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Libor
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
No
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
What she said!!  ;)
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
Well Barclays have broken some rules somewhere and have been fined £290 million by the FSA - so I'm guessing they did something rather naughty...

£290,000,000!!!

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
'Manipulating' the interest rates that banks charge for lending money to each other, don't understand anything deeper than that!  :)
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
LIBOR is an interest rate that the banks use to base the interest rates on that they charge their customers, such as mortgages.
Its meant to be calculated in a rather complicated way, based upon, amongst other things, their assets.
But, here's the surprising bit, they lied about such things as their assets, thus manipulating the interest rate making it higher or lower, to suit them at the time.
£290m is a drop in the ocean, it affected several hundred TRILLION £s worth of loans.
Nothing more shows exactly why retail and investment banks need to be separated.

PS, this is another example where common sense is ignored. If bank rates were fixed in line with the Bank of England rates, there would be much more transparency. (But maybe not as profitable for the banks).

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
LIBOR is an interest rate that the banks use to base the interest rates on that they charge their customers, such as mortgages.
Its meant to be calculated in a rather complicated way, based upon, amongst other things, their assets.
But, here's the surprising bit, they lied about such things as their assets, thus manipulating the interest rate making it higher or lower, to suit them at the time.
£290m is a drop in the ocean, it affected several hundred TRILLION £s worth of loans.
Nothing more shows exactly why retail and investment banks need to be separated.

PS, this is another example where common sense is ignored. If bank rates were fixed in line with the Bank of England rates, there would be much more transparency. (But maybe not as profitable for the banks).

Thanks for that Kev  :)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
Yeah, thanks Kev - couldn't find anywhere that explained it simply.

The reason I asked was I caught a bit of Question Time last night and they were going on about it and someone remarked that the same activity under different circumstances would have resulted in criminal charges and someone going to jail.

So, if this was (nearly?) a crime - who were the victims?

k4blades

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
The victims were anyone who has held a debt, (mortgage, loan, business loan, etc etc) with Barclays, (and other banks too allegedly), at the time the rates were manipulated. Potentially, someone could have paid more to Barclays than they needed to. Individually, the loss maybe quite small, it would be difficult to calculate. But across the company, those little amounts would  add up to a significant amount so as far as claims for damages are concerned, a class action, (or group claim) is more likely.
As for criminal activity, on the face of it, it sounds like fraud, but proving it in court may be difficult, especially with the expensive defense teams the banks would put together, and exactly who would you prosecute. From what I have heard, they can't even agree if Bob Diamond was in charge at the time, or not, then theres all the other managers, traders, etc, so who do you blame.

I'm all for banks being successful and making a big profit which helps the country, but I'm not in favour of customers being lied to, what seems clear is that there is a culture of "anything goes as long as it makes money" in the banks, and there does need to be some ethics brought back into the business. Sadly though, its a reflection of our times, journalists, MPs, cowboy builders, bus drivers demanding excessive bonus's during the Olympics, doctors wanting massive pensions, ........greed is king.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »
>> greed is king.

Once again we agree. :)

Glad you're back Kev - hope you had a great holiday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk