Author Topic: Are the Banks are throttling UK economic recovery?  (Read 6382 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Are the Banks are throttling UK economic recovery?
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:07:43 PM »
Interesting article on the Guardian website about business secretary Vince Cable on the Andrew Marr show this morning.

Cable said, "The real problem at the moment is that the banks – because of their existing culture, which is frankly anti-business, obsession with short-term trading profits, not focusing on the long term – are throttling the recovery of British industry."

Also Cable showed a growing warmth between himself and Labour when he said, in a brief joint appearance with (Ed) Balls on the sofa at the end of the Marr show, that he would like to co-operate with the party.

Let's face it the Conservatives are not fit to run the economy. Pity there isn't a way of forcing an election - useless, chinless wonders...  >:(

http://bit.ly/Pzy3ga
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Are the Banks are throttling UK economic recovery?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
The LibbDems have the power to force an election if they would start voting against the government instead of wimping out and abstaining when they disagree with something

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »
Thanks to the fixed term Parliameent Act passed in September 2011 the next election will be held on 7th May 2015.
The only way this will alter is if a vote of no confidence is called and the government lose. Simply voting against government policy won't do it.
Now the consensus is that if the election is held any time in the next 18 months to 2 years the Lib dems would get wiped out. So deserting the government without spending some time distancing themselves from Tory policies would be a bit like Turkeys voting for Christmas. Ain't happening.
Only chance is if someone (Cable? Davey?)  challenge Clegg for the leadership blame him for all the ills and walk away from the coalition.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »
Care to enlighten us on how many succesful businesses Cameron and Osbourne have run?

Whilst we are waiting for the extensive list (I make it a big fat zero but I will bow to your greater knowledge) we should remember that Cameron was an advisor to Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday. Still that only cost us £3.3 billion!

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
Vince Cable is widely known as Minister Against Business, because all he does is hinder them. The only reason he has the job is because Cameron needs yo keep Clegg happy and Clegg needs to keep Cable happy or he would stand against him, and win in a leadership contest.

The Governor of the Bank of England this week advised toe banks that they need to build up their capital reserves due to the upcoming financial collapse in Europe which will cripple many banks in Europe.
British banks could lend out all their money, and when things go belly up, they would need bailing out. We know this because thats exactly what happened 4 years ago, and lots of people, (Pete), object to the banks being bailed out with tax payers money. So its good advice for them to build up their reserves, though I would prefer it if it wasn't done through the B of Es, QE programme.
By the way, banks are businesses too.
And as for getting the economy moving, maybe the prat, Cable, could start by removing some of the massive red tape burden placed on business, as promised when they came to power, instead its gets worse, just like the extra admin recently placed on my business that achieves nothing but ticks  a few boxes.
Taking business advice from Vince Cable is bit like going to Dr, Shipman because you feel ill.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:42:07 AM »
Care to enlighten us on how many succesful businesses Cameron and Osbourne have run?

Whilst we are waiting for the extensive list (I make it a big fat zero but I will bow to your greater knowledge) we should remember that Cameron was an advisor to Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday. Still that only cost us £3.3 billion!

These are not successful businessmen they have inherited wealth

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »
I wonder if either of you can be less offensive in your replies? I introduced a new topic for member discussion, (something you two don't do)  and suddenly I'm Karl Marx.

If it was left to you there would be no discussion here.

Remember, I too am a businessman, possibly the worst in the world, but I have survived 22 years.  :o

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »
And as for getting the economy moving, maybe the prat, Cable, could start by removing some of the massive red tape burden placed on business, as promised when they came to power,

What a great Idea!!!

Let's see how about they .......... de-regulate the banks so they have more freedom? Or maybe the press? How about the rail companies so they have less Health and Safety to worry about.

k4blades

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
Banks don't need more regulation, the current rules just need policing. Fraud is already fraud, doesn't need a new rule.
Invasion into peoples privacy is also illegal, but wasn't policed.
Driving without due care and attention is also against the law, which includes using a mobile, though the last Govt created a new law which millions ignore.

Rules for the sake of it are meaningless, sensible rules are needed, but then need to be enforced. Don't confuse the two, Cables already confused enough when it comes to business activity.

k4blades

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I wonder if either of you can be less offensive in your replies? I introduced a new topic for member discussion, (something you two don't do)  and suddenly I'm Karl Marx.

If it was left to you there would be no discussion here.

Remember, I too am a businessman, possibly the worst in the world, but I have survived 22 years.  :o

Sorry Pete, you are right of course, but you are also provocative in your postings because you know it creates a response...which as a mod is what you want, but if thats all you want to do,  why not in balance, post a few about how we should all support the bankers for example.

chesterfieldchris

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
POST DELETED AT USER'S REQUEST

k4blades

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
My own view is that nobody should hold a public office that has any direct effect on any part of the private sector, unless they have had experience working in said sector.  That would decimate all parties, but perhaps then we could start building up political parties that actually have a clue of how the real world operates before trying to dictate how it should operate..
A comment that deserves a gold star.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
My view is that we are in the middle of a war between capitalism and democracy and it appears to me that you guys are on the side of capitalism. Right?

k4blades

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »
Wrong.
I'm in favour of capitalism because the alternatives are much worse, but capitalism could be improved in so many ways.
I'm also in favour of democracy because the alternatives are much worse, and democracy could sure as hell be improved. look at the issue all over the news today, Lords reform. This is only being discussed because a party that struggles to get 10% of the vote, ie represents very few of the 60million people in this country, are holding a gun to the head of the mainstream parties and blackmailing them into doing what they want, as they did last year with the referendum on PR....you think that is good democracy?
Cameron said last week that he was in favour of a referendum on Europe but not now due to economic situation, so an issue that affects so much of what we do every day, in every way, at great expense, is not worth discussing....but an issue that the vast majority of the public don't see as important or indeed support, is getting discussed.

I've seen white cabbage butterflies with bigger bollocks than Cameron.....and thats democracy...you seriously think its working?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk