Author Topic: Time for a new coalition.  (Read 2367 times)

k4blades

Time for a new coalition.
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »
I read an interesting article yesterday written by renowned left-winger, Phil Wollas. It was about immigration, something he should know a bit about as he was immigration minister under the last Govt. Not for the first time, I found myself agreeing with everything he said.

The crux of the article was based around the fact that Spain are introducing measures to limit / control the numbers of other EU nationals going to live there. Many, including Wollas, say we should do something similar here. We will never tackle youth unemployment, etc if many of the jobs are taken by Poles and the rest......and it will get much worse when Turkey join. He said that he did try something similar when in office but apparently the civil servants and White Hall Mandarins told him he couldn't, but now it turns out you can.

So how sensible would it be for Cameron to offer him a role of drawing up legislation. Such laws would please many "on the right", but be difficult for "those on the left" to criticise if drawn up by one of their own. It would also stick 2 fingers up to the silly Lib Dems who are suffering with delusions of grandeur.

Cameron has used Frank Field before, another left winger, but he soon dropped him. Personally, I rejected the idea between "left" and "right" along time ago*. I think both sides have a lot in common if you remove the political allegiances. Those whom ideas resonate less with the country are the Lib Dems, hence their low poll ratings so maybe its time for Cameron to get tougher with them.

Will it happen, no chance, Cameron hasn't the balls. 

* If there are 2 sides in politics its the political elite and the masses.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:41:23 AM by k4blades »

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Re: Time for a new coalition.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
Link to the article?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2180393/I-people-know-hard--tackle-immigration-lose-civil-liberties.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The issue, as Woolas states himself is the interpretation of Article 7 as to whether freedom of movement is a universal right. Now it's ok for Spain to do something about it because it's major immigration issue is with South Americans and if a few europeans get inconvenienced along the way then no one is going to bat an eyelid. But you can guarantee that if we tried it to prevent to Eastern Europeans (and the Turks as and when) coming in we would find ourselves in a European court pretty sharpish.
Fact is this ain't going to happen and Woolas is just scoring a few naughty political points by making it look like Labour are now onboard and its the Coalition who are blocking it.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

k4blades

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:52:49 PM »
Agreed, but my real point is that if you took the "politics" out of it and just looked for a pragmatic solution, we'd achieve a lot more.
Also I think the "left" and "right" have more in common with each other than either do with the Lib Dems.

therealjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
Agreed, but my real point is that if you took the "politics" out of it and just looked for a pragmatic solution, we'd achieve a lot more.

Wouldn't that statement stand for just about everything that is wrong about the country? Trouble is we don't seem to be able to do it because we can never agree on a pragmatic solution acceptable to all wings.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:57:41 AM »
Anything to say on this Pete, come on....either that or stop whinging at me for not posting!!!!!!!!!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »
Think the gauntlet has been thrown down Pete ====

The answer I am sure is to stop any new immigrants to our country, if someone from UK chooses to marry from another country then they should move to the partners country - not here.

Whilst in Dubai, a taxi chappie told us that although he wasn't from Dubai he was allowed to work there - but on reaching retirement age had to go back to his own country, they obviously don't intend looking after other countries elderly! Our country can't look after our own eldery let alone other countries.

Our politicians are too busy sticking their beaks into other countries problems - it's time they looked towards throwing the dosh to useful means in this country.
No time for any of them - bloody waste of space.
Rant over
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk