Author Topic: Mini-jobs.  (Read 1730 times)

k4blades

Mini-jobs.
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »
An interesting read from The Guardian;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/19/treasury-boost-employment-mini-jobs

The idea is seen as a way of helping both business, and low paid. Whats really interesting though, is that Vince Cable, the minister against business, is oppossed to the idea.
Yet another reason why he should be sacked in the up-comming re-shuffle, but Cameron hasn't got the balls.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
Re: Mini-jobs.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
Perhaps the gov could do something about the low earners who don't claim benefits as well.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

k4blades

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
Absolutley Fly, I think the people who have suffered most under the coaltion, are those working but on low incomes.

Slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »
An increasing amount of young people are now in part time work or agency work (where they don't get any holiday pay.) Might look good for employment figure but not good fore someone trying to buy a house.
Increasing the pension age saves public money but for every over 65 working there will be one less job for an 18 year old.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
Took a young lad, probably 16, up to St Mary's High School today. He's doing another two years at school.
'Reason', I asked him, well there's no jobs so I may as well try for more education, might help me in two years time.

Can you fault him, better than dropping out school and doing sod all for a while.
And no, I don't agree to extending school leaving age to 18.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

k4blades

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »
Agreed. (with Slacker, cross posting with Fly)
It is difficult for the young, inexperienced, etc. Chicken and egg situation with jobs, you get something but end up worse off because you lose benefits. If this scheme means a lot more people at the lower end won't pay any tax, I think thats a good idea.
You can have several mini-jobs as long as you stay below the threshold, so someone might have a part-time job doing something and also spend a couple of nights behind the bar, and pay no tax.
Of course, the best thing for the economy would be lots of full-time, highly paid, highly skilled jobs but thats unrealistic, and the fact remains there will always be people needing un-skilled work.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
MY MISTAKE, HANDS UP, I THINK I'VE JUST DELETED A POST  :-[

Here's my reply to k4 about school leaving age.

It was like that in 83 when I left school, I went on a YTS after I left school, £25 a week 
Difference was, I'd had an education by the time I was 16, I could read, write and spell, plus an O'Level in maths :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk