Author Topic: Dog Kennels pictures  (Read 2013 times)

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
Dog Kennels pictures
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
This is Dog Kennels alley as it passes through Browns Yard with the Dog and Gun Inn on the Right.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Kennels pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Gosh doesn't it look bleak - and scary
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
Aye - you wouldn't want to live there OC.

Read this from TP Woods Alamac - its not in the Dog Kennels area, it's in Chesterfield off Saltergate but describes life in those days - it's a real eye-opener, powerful stuff:

Locally, production of coal increased dramatically – unfortunately by 1893 this led to over-supply and the price of coal fell. In June of that year, out of an estimated 15,000 miners in the district, 9,000 were on two days’ work a week and the remainder out of work altogether. By the end of July a dispute between the Coal-Owners’ Association (who wanted a 25% cut in miners’ wages) and the miners resulted in a lock-out that continued until November, when the men went back to work at their original wage. The economic effects on a town which depended so much on the mines, and the industries which supported them, for employment were harsh and the poorer sections of the community suffered most.

“Six in family, two rooms, no fire in the grate, not a particle of furniture; a poor child under rags, ill. Neither man nor wife nor children had eaten anything that day. Earned 5s. 6d. to 6s. a day; but only worked two or three days a week.

This house is in Shakespeare Yard. How can I describe this truly awful place? … It is a small court; around are a few hovels of grey, large stone. There was a small worn shaky stone staircase. This led to a house – if it could be called – of a single room, about 12 feet by six. Absolutely nothing in the room but a heap of rags in the corner of the floor. There three human beings actually lived – a man, his wife and child. Not all the wealth of all the world could prevail upon me to spend one night in it. The darkest cell in Newgate would be preferable. But these hapless wretches paid 2s rent for it. The husband could earn 6s. 6d. a day when he had work; but he had work only two days or two and a half days in the week. Then he was often not able to work at all. He had bronchitis – he had been ill most of the previous winter, and the wife had to go charing.”

The previous occupant of the property had been a rag and bone man before he became landlord of the court. He was a miser and when he died shortly before he left £5,000

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
My uncle remembers it well, not sure if he lived there but when he calls and we both have time I want to show him the pictures of the kennels - see what he remembers!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk