Author Topic: 'Proper' pop music! 🙄  (Read 1400 times)

Alsatian

• View Profile
'Proper' pop music! 🙄
« on: October 24, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »
Does anyone remember being able to buy 'ex juke box' 45rpm records? They were a cheap(er) way of buying fairly recent hits? They had the 'centre' removed and needed an adaptor fitted to the spindle on the record player.

Moving on to 33rpm records you could buy K tel albums of current hits by the original artists or (more likely) you bought the hits sung by 'sound alike' (ish) groups at a fraction of the price.

Those were the days (my friend, I thought they'd never end)!

Also what is/was your favourite all time song? Mine is Crazy by Patsy Cline.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:20:25 PM by Alsatian »
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
Re: 'Proper' pop music! 🙄
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 03:25:16 PM »
And here's a couple of examples, the album cover would be considered extremely sexist today!
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
Here's a K tel album cover, along with Ronco who also produced original artists records.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
It gave me an excuse to rummage through my collection of 45's and L.P.'s

I too have the K Tel labels, also similar out there were Phillips and Arcade. I've actually got three with the price tags still stuck on....

Capitol,Beach Boys good vibrations album {PRESTO  £1:05p}
Arcade, 20 number 1's {Woolworth's £1:99p}
K Tel, Dynamite 20 original hits {Woolworth's £2:25p}

Can you remember the "Ronco album selector"?

I also have at least sixty 45's, a dozen of which are ex juke box
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »
My first single, in the early 60s, was Telstar by the Tornadoes, with Globetrotter on the B side (later re released with Jungle Rock as the B side).

At the time my parents ran a pub and once, when the record started playing on the record player (Dansette) (to the sound of a space ship taking off) a customer shot over to it, thinking the needle had missed the beginning of the record! 🤣

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 10:59:14 PM »
Yes, I also remember the Ronco album selector, but never had one.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 12:29:01 PM »
One of my first singles was Craig Douglas
I still have a boxed set of The Beatles singles stored away.

We watched John and Yoko not so long ago which they ran on TV. I'm sure had he not been murdered early in his life he was have suffered some lung issues as they both chain smoked through two individual interviews. I loved his sensible music though and personally think he was a brilliant singer.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 02:04:32 PM »
I think we are the first generation to have lived through so much change, especially music.

When I was very small I can just remember my older brother being given an old windup phonograph to play his 78's on.
Years later he got a new Dansette record player {red and cream} to play his  L.P.'s and 45's on.
{if you were really posh you had a radiogram} meanwhile I used to tape the top twenty off the radio onto my Grundig reel to reel tape recorder {sadly all lost over the years}.
Then came the cassette player which I thought was a game changer then! so over the next few years built up quite an extensive library of cassette tapes.
Then came C.D.'s and soon after mini discs, once again over the years I've built up an extensive collection.

But now whilst at my daughters I was introduced to ALEXA. For about £45 it will play almost any record you could think of. No more piles of slipping C.D.'s no music centre's just something about the size of a hockey puck containing almost every record you need, as Catweazle would say "Wundrus..Wundrus electrickery!
That's top of my Christmas list this year followed by the great C.D. clear out.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
Alexa  :)) :D ;D :)) :))

I called at Morrisons in {somewhere}, and there was a young lady shouting to her small daughter.
"Alexa, Alexa, come here and stop running around." LOL  ::)

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk