Author Topic: I've got gas!  (Read 1003 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
I've got gas!
« on: October 10, 2021, 10:55:53 AM »
Yes I have.........

All this talk of gas shortages and gas prices going through the roof I'm wondering if now would be a good time to change my cooker, for the foreseeable future, to an electric one. Just looking at what's happening with threatened gas price rises, and that's all assuming we can still be kept supplied with it.
looking up some statistics on gas V electric {baring in mind the quotes I saw haven't been updated to take in the recent situation yet} it looks like gas is the cheaper option....But for how long?
If I did change then this would then just leave me with gas central heating. According to my last bills, starting February of this year my bills for gas and electric, in the winter months both were pretty equal and in the Summer months obviously my gas bill was a third of electric bill this is due to the bad design of our houses and rubbish "small" windows we sometimes have to have lights on even when the sun is out.

Is there anyone out there {dual fuelled} that could give me an insight as to what their bills are using an electric cooker, as if it will work out cheaper I want to get an electric cooker before places like Currys twig on and jack their prices up.....thanks   
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

hifimad

• View Profile
Re: I've got gas!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 01:44:52 AM »
Gas is sold at kilowatts per hour the same as electricity if you look at the price of gas per kwh you will see it is substantially cheaper than electricity per kwh, how long this will remain the case remains to be seen, also take into account that gas heat is instant, an electric hob takes time to warm up which means you are using electricity while it warms the hob unit rather than your food which over the course of the year may add up to quite a bit of waste, a few years ago i calculated the cost of  boiling a kettle full of water by timing how long it took to boil using a 2kw kettle and a gas kettle with the same amount of water and at that point the cost of the electric kettle was a little over 4 times the cost of using a gas kettle.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 10:51:24 AM »
Gas is sold at kilowatts per hour the same as electricity if you look at the price of gas per kwh you will see it is substantially cheaper than electricity per kwh, how long this will remain the case remains to be seen, also take into account that gas heat is instant, an electric hob takes time to warm up which means you are using electricity while it warms the hob unit rather than your food which over the course of the year may add up to quite a bit of waste, a few years ago i calculated the cost of  boiling a kettle full of water by timing how long it took to boil using a 2kw kettle and a gas kettle with the same amount of water and at that point the cost of the electric kettle was a little over 4 times the cost of using a gas kettle.

Thanks for that hifimad...... many years ago I did an "experiment" of sorts one morning roughly testing my electricity use. Back then I had the old dial electric meter with the large wheel turning in the centre with a red dot on it. I don't remember the exact numbers, as I'm going back 20 years or so, but I checked the speed of the wheels rotations according to what was in use such as fridge /freezer lights t.v. etc  in different phases and each time counted the number of revolutions per minute of the wheel.
The think the average when literally everything was turned on {without the kettle} was somewhere about 10/12 revolutions p/m, then I turned off all excess usage and just put on the electric kettle I DO remember that figure it was an astounding 46 revs p/m so I binned the kettle and got one for the gas hob, unfortunately my wife disliked the hob kettle because it "took too long" and she made me go back to another electric one.
As I say gas could be given free of charge but if we don't have any the price would be immaterial.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
Whatever we use we have to pay for. meanwhile I have not as yet put the central heating on. I reckon this is a record in our house!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 12:22:11 PM »
Having been told that utility prices will go through the roof when the price cap is scrapped, spare a thought for the U.K. treasury. The billions they ALREADY make through V.A.T. on your utility bills will pale in comparison to the extra they are going to make when prices skyrocket.

Another question that seems to be popping up is why all those that signed up for 100% renewable energy i.e. solar and wind power are {apparently} going to get a price increase as well, last time I looked the Sun and the wind are free!!

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 10:23:48 AM »
I heard on the news that OVO are in trouble having to lessen their staff - I'm wondering where that may leave us in the future as we use them
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk