Author Topic: New rules for cyclists!  (Read 795 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
New rules for cyclists!
« on: January 25, 2022, 12:28:58 PM »
Please tell me I'm dreaming!

Apparently this was all worked out last Summer and comes into effect within days. Amongst other things we have to give cyclists a minimum of 1.5 mtres {which I do anyway} when passing, this will enable cyclists to ride two abreast which means on narrow road or lanes you'll NEVER be able to pass them plus apparently there's talk of letting cyclists ride in the centre of the road, madness.
According to the AA 30% of motorists didn't know about these changes {me included} that's because the Government has done a p*ss poor job of advertising the fact.

All it means for me is I will continue to treat cyclists the same way as I've always done,  so if they use the roads correctly and don't mess me about we'll get on fine.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
Re: New rules for cyclists!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 09:36:08 AM »
centre of the lane, not centre of the road....and I agree, that the broadcasting of the new rules has been shabby...ownership of a highway code is not mandatory...
It seems that pedestrians are always to be given way to...and are No 1 on the list, followed by cyclists and horseriders...

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »
centre of the lane, not centre of the road.

They do that already, cyclists tend to ride halfway between the gutter and the white line on roads the majority are obviously avoiding pot holes and numerous raised drain covers.
The mantra for motorists and cyclists years ago was "When overtaking give a cyclist the same room as you would a small car".
My reply has always been the same, if we treat you like a small car then pay road tax!

Obviously the reply is usually "Why? we don't pollute we have no engine and besides we pay tax anyway as we own cars."
If you own two cars there's tax on both vehicles, road tax fuel tax etc so you pay twice that's no different to being out on the road with your car one day and your bike the next.....you can't have it both ways.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
I have a couple of bikes (not used very much) and an old Land Rover which is tax free!!!! But I agree, cyclists have a job on to avoid the countless potholes and rubbish close to the kerb.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk