Author Topic: Chesterfield.. booming town or doss hole!  (Read 5968 times)

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
Re: Chesterfield.. booming town or doss hole!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2022, 02:57:30 PM »
Never a doss hole not in my eyes. I'm born and bred chesterfield and I wouldn't ever diss my hometown. I may not live there because my father moved us when I was young but chesterfield is the best for me.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »
Forgot about this........ I went to town a couple of weeks ago and when I got off the bus I found my watch had stopped. The last time I had a battery fitted in a watch was about 2 years ago and paid a fiver so I dropped it off in the market hall and they said ready in half an hour.
I went to pick it up and was charged just under a TENNER!!

I usually buy strips of batteries from the pound shop and use those but I'd had the last lot that long I binned them, so it's back to the pound shop for me.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2022, 09:46:28 AM »
I saved up for a watch that doesn't need a battery because in the small useless town that we moved to you would be charged more than a tenner. When I did have a watch with a battery in it I got charged £14 and it took the woman a week to get my watch back to me. At least in chesterfield you have shops where you can get clothes shoes electric items bedding etc. Where I am you can't even get a pair of shoes as there isn't o one shoe shop it shut, there isn't a decent clothes shop it's just charity shops which at time's they are helpful to people, there is one bank for everyone that only opens from 9am to 2pm there is one small dentist one small health centre which two days a week is closed for staff training a library open three full days out of seven and most of the time no one is in it. I could mention more but it's too depressing this stupid place we moved to infact it's a dump and if you are not from where I now live the ones who are born here make you unwelcome. I would say that the people still living in chesterfield are very lucky to have the shops they have i wish I could just walk to a clothes shop or shoe shop and not have to spend money on bus fare everytime I need clothing or shoes. I went out yesterday to somewhere for a pair I trainers and the bus fare was £8:60 for just over a half hour journey the wait for a bus back was an hour. If I go to other places up in this county it costs either £7:90 or £6:80. Them journeys can be half an hour the busses are dirty inside and the windows not cleaned so you can't see out of them. When I visited chesterfield this year I couldn't believe how clean the comet bus was compared to the bus I go on  where I live now newspapers left on seats tin cans on the floor dirty seats where people sit with their feet up the bus drivers say nothing. Also the bus station in chesterfield is clean the ones up here are covered in graffiti by people have no lighting and pizza boxes all over the floor and the bins don't get emptied by the council they just leave them full for too long. I wish I was back in chesterfield putting my money in my hometown instead of putting it in the useless hopeless county up here that has nothing going for it.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2022, 09:52:58 AM »
I saved up for a watch that doesn't need a battery because in the small useless town that we moved to you would be charged more than a tenner. When I did have a watch with a battery in it I got charged £14 and it took the woman a week to get my watch back to me. At least in chesterfield you have shops where you can get clothes shoes electric items bedding etc. Where I am you can't even get a pair of shoes as there isn't one shoe shop it shut, there isn't a decent clothes shop it's just charity shops which at time's they are helpful to people, there is one bank for everyone that only opens from 9am to 2pm there is one small dentist one small health centre which two days a week is closed for staff training a library open three full days out of seven and most of the time no one is in it. I could mention more but it's too depressing this stupid place we moved to infact it's a dump and if you are not from where I now live the ones who are born here make you unwelcome. I would say that the people still living in chesterfield are very lucky to have the shops they have i wish I could just walk to a clothes shop or shoe shop and not have to spend money on bus fare everytime I need clothing or shoes. I went out yesterday to somewhere for a pair I trainers and the bus fare was £8:60 for just over a half hour journey the wait for a bus back was an hour. If I go to other places up in this county it costs either £7:90 or £6:80. Them journeys can be half an hour the busses are dirty inside and the windows not cleaned so you can't see out of them. When I visited chesterfield this year I couldn't believe how clean the comet bus was compared to the bus I go on  where I live now newspapers left on seats tin cans on the floor dirty seats where people sit with their feet up the bus drivers say nothing. Also the bus station in chesterfield is clean the ones up here are covered in graffiti by people have no lighting and pizza boxes all over the floor and the bins don't get emptied by the council they just leave them full for too long. I wish I was back in chesterfield putting my money in my hometown instead of putting it in the useless hopeless county up here that has nothing going for it.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2022, 09:56:33 AM »
I saved up for a watch that doesn't need a battery because in the small useless town that we moved to you would be charged more than a tenner. When I did have a watch with a battery in it I got charged £14 and it took the woman a week to get my watch back to me. At least in chesterfield you have shops where you can get clothes shoes electric items bedding etc. Where I am you can't even get a pair of shoes as there isn't one shoe shop it shut, there isn't a decent clothes shop it's just charity shops which at time's they are helpful to people, there is one bank for everyone that only opens from 9am to 2pm there is one small dentist one small health centre which two days a week is closed for staff training a library open three full days out of seven and most of the time no one is in it. I could mention more but it's too depressing this stupid place we moved to infact it's a dump and if you are not from where I now live the ones who are born here make you unwelcome. I would say that the people still living in chesterfield are very lucky to have the shops they have i wish I could just walk to a clothes shop or shoe shop and not have to spend money on bus fare everytime I need clothing or shoes. I went out yesterday to somewhere for a pair I trainers and the bus fare was £8:60 for just over a half hour journey the wait for a bus back was an hour. If I go to other places up in this county it costs either £7:90 or £6:80. Them journeys can be half an hour the busses are dirty inside and the windows not cleaned so you can't see out of them. When I visited chesterfield this year I couldn't believe how clean the comet bus was compared to the bus I go on  where I live now newspapers left on seats tin cans on the floor dirty seats where people sit with their feet up the bus drivers say nothing. Also the bus station in chesterfield is clean the ones up here are covered in graffiti by people have no lighting and pizza boxes all over the floor and the bins don't get emptied by the council they just leave them full for too long. I wish I was back in chesterfield putting my money in my hometown instead of putting it in the useless hopeless county up here that has nothing going for it.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 10:51:51 AM »
Just been browsing and came across the news that Birds bakery shop on Packers row is to close end of January!! another nail in Chesterfields coffin

They blame "lack of footfall in the town", made worse when Marks and Spencer upped sticks.

I wonder how long it will take M&S to figure out they may have shot themselves in the foot by moving.

I've been to the retail park only twice since M&S moved there and, because of that, parking spaces are at a premium, M&S are getting a lot of car shoppers yes, but they MUST have lost a lot of the "regulars" when they moved, and I also noticed when I went into the new shop how many younger people were in there.

Also don't be surprised when the council catch on and suddenly start charging for parking.

smithy266

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »
Re the Ravenside car park...looks a reight hassle trying to get out...two sets of traffic lights and massive queues...

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 01:28:25 AM »
Just been browsing and came across the news that Birds bakery shop on Packers row is to close end of January!! another nail in Chesterfields coffin

They blame "lack of footfall in the town", made worse when Marks and Spencer upped sticks.

I wonder how long it will take M&S to figure out they may have shot themselves in the foot by moving.

I've been to the retail park only twice since M&S moved there and, because of that, parking spaces are at a premium, M&S are getting a lot of car shoppers yes, but they MUST have lost a lot of the "regulars" when they moved, and I also noticed when I went into the new shop how many younger people were in there.

Also don't be surprised when the council catch on and suddenly start charging for parking.

We haven't been yet to M&S, I'm waiting for the excitement to die down  ::) The land is privately owned so I'm not sure the council will have a say in parking fees
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2023, 01:07:08 PM »
In this weeks D.T. using an AI image generator to show what Chesterfield of the future will look like.............

Quote:-
"Haunting image of the town in year 3000", finishing the piece with "Offering a somewhat dystopian landscape, shrouded in gloom"
Dystopian landscape...so not much change there then!

When you watch futuristic films, that have been produced for decades, like Bladerunner, Time machine or Soylent green, star wars even it's not exactly looking rosy for the masses is it.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2023, 09:02:53 AM »
We finally visited M&S a couple of weeks ago.
Nothing spectacular clothing wise and the men's section isn't much.
I think they must be the only place in the UK who are not bothered about heating costs - I was so hot I couldn't wait to leave.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2023, 05:32:01 PM »
Had to nip into town this morning on an errand and walking through the big market outside Primark I counted only TWELVE stalls being used and for a Saturday {supposedly the busiest day of the week for anybody} that was pathetic.
Yes it was busy with shoppers but they seemed to be spending in the actual shops and next to nobody was perusing the market stalls.

Chesterfield 4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2023, 11:09:04 PM »
Had to nip into town this morning on an errand and walking through the big market outside Primark I counted only TWELVE stalls being used and for a Saturday {supposedly the busiest day of the week for anybody} that was pathetic.
Yes it was busy with shoppers but they seemed to be spending in the actual shops and next to nobody was perusing the market stalls.
You are still lucky to have the shops in chesterfield that you do and if you are able to walk to them. I went out today and ended up on 5 different busses. If only I could still be living in chesterfield I would be so pleased. Shops I could walk to and get what I needed without the expense of busses. I do sometimes shop online but with clothing I always like to try something on if I can before I buy. When I was in chesterfield last year I went round the market and it brought back so many memories of when I went round the market with my mum and brother when we were kid's, it used to be packed back then yes but to still have the market now but on a smaller scale is something. I hope chesterfield never lose that market it's got too much history connected to the town.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2023, 04:35:02 PM »
From this weeks D.T.
Apparently there is to be a public meeting basically to discuss the "state" of Chesterfield and it's centre.

The Civic society, who have organised it, say that the town has become a matter of "lively discussion" over the past few month's.
They also noted that Chesterfield is coming under "threat" from decline.

Now it seems people are really starting to sit up and take notice of the state of the town.

The meeting is to be held at St. Thomas's church centre Chatsworth road from Monday 27th February from 7:30pm

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2023, 02:27:16 PM »
Well! this weeks D.T. was full of sunshine wasn't it?

page 3 {and headline} millions in bonus's paid to pencil pushers at the Town hall.
page 4 "Chesterfield worst in country for doctor waiting times"
page 8 council to raise taxes
page 19 pensioner Maureen says "Town's going to pot"
and of course page 38 "Counties drivers face worst road conditions in England"

Still on a lighter note:
page 17 twenty four million to be spent tarting up and improving Clay Cross......WATCH OUT CHESTERFIELD!!!! your days are numbered.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2023, 10:13:17 AM »
Yes the D.T. is now full of "promises" mainly from the council and others "We're going to do this, we're going to do that,open this, spend that, build this, renovate that...........

The company I worked for many years ago had a slogan which fits this to a T :-

"IT'S ONLY A PROMISE TILL I'TS DELIVERED"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk