Author Topic: One comes...one goes!  (Read 579 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
One comes...one goes!
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:11:59 PM »
Just read in this weeks D.T. there's plans afoot to create yet another hotel in Chesterfield, it claims it will create "significant" jobs.
Judging by the way the lock downs are being handled there will be no shortage of applicants for the jobs.

Cineworld is to temporarily close due to the Corona virus.

I don't believe we need either of these in Chesterfield. Once again someone comes up with the idea of building yet another hotel, I don't believe we need one.  We have Premier inn Elderway, we have the Ibis, the Casa hotel not to mention the pubs and b/b's scattered around that take in guests. This is yet another piece of "good news" to try and deflect us away from noticing the hole Chesterfield is slowly sliding into.
As for Cineworld once again cinemas have gone full circle, up until the late sixties cinemas were the go to place for people of all ages, then with the onset of television they lost their way and many became bingo halls. They had a resurgence in the early nineties with plush seating in state of the art buildings but now once again with media technology at the level it is why should anyone go to the multiplexes, pay a minimum of a tenner for a ticket {and the snacks are way overpriced} to watch something they can watch on their humungus wide screen t.v.'s for nowt a few weeks later. Why anyone still goes to cinemas remains a mystery to me.

I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: One comes...one goes!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »
Cineworld was in danger of out pricing itself and the virus has done the job for it. We haven't been to many films there in the last few years but when we did very often there was just a handful of people in, not sure how they made any profit unless we went on quiet days
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

bransoj

• View Profile
Re: One comes...one goes!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 02:36:25 PM »
The issue with the Cinema's is that the film industry has stopped putting films out for them to show....typical example that has hurt most of them is the new Bond film being delayed again to next March or April having already been delayed from earlier this year to November.

Cost of cinemas, as many things, has got a bit over the top although you arent forced to buy things and its a myth that you cant take your own stuff in but if they have nothing to show they will struggle. Most seemed to be ok until they ran out of things to show. The town has comfortably supported the Cineworld set up for years until the current situation and always appears to be busy when you go past on evenings later in the week or the cheap night. There has been no indication its struggling and would need to close had it not been for a worldwide pandemic that basically meant they've got nothing to show and what you can go and watch you have to sit in a mask which will put plenty off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk