Author Topic: Smart motorways  (Read 1110 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
Smart motorways
« on: March 13, 2021, 08:41:32 PM »
The Governments insistence that "smart" motorways are not only safer but that the death rates are lower.

Anybody..but anybody who drives and uses the motorways on a regular basis knows that since these motorways have become 4 lanes with no hard shoulder the dangers have increased exponentially. So sure are the D.O.T, {this also includes the transport minister Grant Shapps}, that not only did they cease building emergency refuges half a mile apart like they did at the beginning, based on the figures they decided to save a bit of dosh and start building these refuges ONE AND A HALF miles apart, obviously working on the principal that vehicles will only break down or be involved in accidents next to a refuge.

This is already beginning to have a knock on effect on businesses. Some fleet drivers are refusing to drive on these motorways as they, quite rightly fear for their safety, and apparently there is no statute in business that can force a driver to use something they class as dangerous, the "B" roads and others will see a lot more motorway traffic, this will mean extra delivery times meaning customers will have to wait longer and your local byways will become clogged up, and we've enough potholes as it is.

I still don't understand how these M.P.'s get these jobs, Grant Shapps has absolutely no prior experience of transport, the same as his predecessor "failing" Grayling. Also you would think that the Health minister would at least be a doctor {or ex doctor}.
When you consider these motorways are being approved by a bloke that's possibly never driven on a smart motorway, it doesn't fill me with confidence. 
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: Smart motorways
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 06:52:30 PM »
I rarely use the motorway these days and reading your post I'm pleased I dont!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Tarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:51:20 PM »
I recently read somewhere, that some  breakdown / recovery agents are now refusing to attend brokendown vehicles on smart motorway sections, whilst some others want at least 2 lanes closed & also highways agency, or police in attendance.!

wollygobble

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 04:47:35 PM »
I've been boycotting smart motorways since day one.  It's inconvenient and restrictive (or at least it was while we were still allowed to move about), and it means adding to congestion and pollution in cities instead, but safety has to come first.

The government are able to say that smart motorways are safer because they have removed the hard shoulder at the same time as introducing variable speed limits.  I've experienced variable speed limits in isolation and they are a very good idea.  I'm not surprised that they make motorways safer, and it's a neat way of obfuscating the truth about motorways with no hard shoulder.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
I see the government have spent loads of dosh on TV & radio adverts advising drivers in difficulty to 'go left' (to the Pet Shop Boys hit 'Go West').

That's all well and good except, what happens if:

1/ the left hand lane(s) is/are full of fast moving traffic

2/ your car becomes totally immobile (eg siezed drive train etc)

I'm afraid they've not made me change my mind about them.

Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 11:59:27 AM »
As I've said these M.P.'s have no idea how real life works, how many of them actually drive on these "safe " motorways, not many I'll be bound.

It is alleged...........
I have read that they are now realising that the country is in uproar over the amount of consultancy firms the government uses and has used especially since the pandemic.
Virtually all of these consultants {and we are talking of consultants in the thousands} most are on a "MINIMUM OF £1500 PER HOUR"
That doesn't include the Tory cronies who jumped on the P.P.E. bandwagon and made a fortune out of knowing nothing and doing nothing.
Now that they are realising this they are trying to ween off consultants {especially the Covid ones} to try and save some money, of course they can't do this on their own, as it turns out these M.P.'s are far too busy,
so they've called in consultants to help!!.......  you couldn't make it up......
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk