Author Topic: My gas cooker  (Read 158 times)

Sorastro

• View Profile
My gas cooker
« on: April 02, 2024, 08:58:43 PM »
Only had this gas cooker just over 5 years, not an old appliance by any means but after all my sockets tripped out in the house one morning it turns out it's the electrical ignition switch on the cooker that's at fault so now having to use a hand held lighter.

Been looking on line to maybe getting a new cooker, when we had this one installed we paid about £70 for installation, that's now risen to £115. Looking round for repairers it would cost at least that much, maybe more, to have it repaired they've got you either way.
£115 just to have someone stick a gas pipe onto a bayonet fitting and plugging in the electric socket for the ignition, daylight robbery. Of course I could set it up myself but I'd run the risk of the cooker turning out to be faulty, apart from it possibly being dangerous, it could null the warranty.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: My gas cooker
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 10:07:46 AM »
These days it's generally cheaper to buy new appliances, it's annoying though isn't it when they seem to last as long as we would expect.
Gone are the days when we rented a tele and if they went wrong the shop had their own engineers to come out and fix if possible.
We used Marshalls in Clay Cross for many years and they were pretty good at sending out engineers to fix things. These days it's the same as everywhere - buy a new one!
Improving Technology hasn't helped us in the repair section has it.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 03:20:23 PM »

Been looking on line to maybe getting a new cooker, when we had this one installed we paid about £70 for installation, that's now risen to £115. Looking round for repairers it would cost at least that much, maybe more, to have it repaired they've got you either way.
£115 just to have someone stick a gas pipe onto a bayonet fitting and plugging in the electric socket for the ignition, daylight robbery. Of course I could set it up myself but I'd run the risk of the cooker turning out to be faulty, apart from it possibly being dangerous, it could null the warranty.

Adding insult to injury the washing machine threw a seven yesterday, more expense!
Looking in on Currys the charge for installation is far less than for the cooker {about £30}
They say things happen in three's, wonder what's next?
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 04:15:56 PM »
Yep, something else will conk out!!
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk