Author Topic: That's the jollies 2013 sorted.  (Read 33668 times)

Big Dave

• View Profile
Re: That's the jollies 2013 sorted.
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »
We're doing a few weekends away in the UK in the Riley (Shropshire, Northumberland and Scotland) and perhaps a week in Malta, haven't been there since 1953 when I lived there as a nipper.

Some friends left for two weeks on a narrow boat yesterday - rather them than me.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
Me on a narrow boat. Erewash Canal.  Circa !985.

The trendy one on the right is me. Just a bad photo, it rained for a week.
The guy on the left is now one of Leicester's top Criminal Law Barristers. My Uncle  ;)
I'm sure I've posted this pic before. Scuse me for repetition.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
Yes I have seen it before Fly -  handsome chaps you were to. Dave OK love Malta although it's changed so much since my
 first visit in the early 70's. I always said I wanted to retire there.

The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Pete

• View Profile
    • Peter Maycock - Chesterfield
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »
Have a friend that used to live on Gozo - after a holiday a few years ago I nearly didn't  come back...
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
It's been 60 years since I was in Malta, I wonder if it's changed....? Apparently I spoke fluent Maltese by the time I left, can't remember a word now  :(

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
You will definately see a difference then.
On our first visit there was much more expanse of land than now - more buildings being built, apparently the government were loaning money to the locals to build their own homes from what I remember, lovely white stone dwellings they were.
Apparently to go and live there we would need a considerable amount of savings (I can't remember the amount).
Last time we visited was for the day whilst on a cruise which is a few years ago.
Blue grotto, and the Marsaxlokk fishing village was un spoiled though.
Just love the place  8)

Big Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks OC - I'm hoping to find the flat we used to live in overlooking Grand Harbour (Dad was in the RN). I remember so much about the place: going to school, aged almost 4, and having to take an egg for lunch which the nuns would boil - one day I broke mine, the beaches, getting lost, fishing, the buses, flying out there in a BEA Viking and having to land at Nice to refuel, throwing up over my teddy bear (air sickness) - happy days...

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
Flying tomorrow afternoon. Pete, step daughter, and a Rottweiler looking after the house.
Hope you don't meet the step daughter, she's worse than the rottie ;-)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:09:43 AM by Fly »
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
Enjoy Fly  8)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
Thanks OC - I'm hoping to find the flat we used to live in overlooking Grand Harbour (Dad was in the RN). I remember so much about the place: going to school, aged almost 4, and having to take an egg for lunch which the nuns would boil - one day I broke mine, the beaches, getting lost, fishing, the buses, flying out there in a BEA Viking and having to land at Nice to refuel, throwing up over my teddy bear (air sickness) - happy days...

Strange what memories we retain Dave. Mine of Malta well the first one actually was on the aircraft as we dropped for landing and thinking they had taken us to the wrong country. Not what I expected at all. Small white stoned properties with TV ariels taller than the dwellings they were on. I wonder if Valletta still has these?
We stayed with my aunt her husband was in the airforce back then and took my 17yr old brother. he enjoyed diving in the clear waters with the local lads and I have a picture of him with a squid on his arm (yuk). First night I thought there was a war on as I was woken by what I thought was gunshots - it was just a village close by who were having their fiesta. Very hot in summer isn't it and the locals were very friendly - didn't the british call them Joeys? (yes I know it's a baby Kangeroo  :) )
Hope you get there Dave and share your findings with us

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 02:50:14 PM »
Grrrr. 30 minute delay. Now fly at 3.30pm.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
Apparently the pilot and some of the crew are stuck in traffic following a road traffic accident near Doncaster. We can't go till they get here. how ever long that will be, nobody knows.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Apparently the pilot and some of the crew are stuck in traffic following a road traffic accident near Doncaster. We can't go till they get here. how ever long that will be, nobody knows.

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »
Had a text from the rotweiller, apparently he checked our fridge freezer LAST weekend but thought he'd not spoil our holiday by telling us it had failed big time until NOW. Also being a rotweiller, he didn't think about moving all the defrosted meat etc out of the house. Whoopee !!
Can't wait to get home tomorrow. !!

España

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
Had a text from the rotweiller, apparently he checked our fridge freezer LAST weekend but thought he'd not spoil our holiday by telling us it had failed big time until NOW. Also being a rotweiller, he didn't think about moving all the defrosted meat etc out of the house. Whoopee !!
Can't wait to get home tomorrow. !!

I m going to Tenerife in 12 days :)
If you do something ,do it with Love <3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk