Author Topic: Your preferred option?  (Read 970 times)

therealjr

• View Profile
Your preferred option?
« on: April 26, 2015, 07:13:26 PM »
With 10 days to go it's looking increasingly likely that the SNP will hold the balance of power unless a late Tory swing and a better than expected lib dem performance means that a rainbow coalition of the centre right can be formed
Which got me thinking what was my preferred option?
I don't want 5 more years of right wing austerity but equally I'm not struck on the notion of the SNP holding the country to ransom.
Now I don't know if my Machiavellian mind thinks the same way as the average politician who is desperate to Cling on to what trappings they can is the same but here goes.
I'd like the Tories to get the most seats but without the ability to form a majority government in any way shape form or distinction. This would mean that Ed Milliband would be seen by his own party for the failure he is and ditched, hopefully for someone who isn't tarred with the brush of failure that was Gordon Brown's economic policies. My choice would be Andy Burnham but who knows.
Cameron tried to carry on vote by vote but it quickly becomes apparent that he's a dead man walking. Another election is called for the autumn. In this election labour either wins an outright majority or can form a coalition with the lib dems.
The problem with the above is that I'm 99.9% certain that if Milliband is in a position to do so he will go back on everything he's said (yes I know I said no deals but that was when we were trying to elect a labour government. Now the people have spoken and we have to do what's right for the country and put aside all these issues of what was said in the past) do a deal with the SNP and sell England down the river just to get his own 15 minutes of fame a la Nick Clegg.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

Slacker

• View Profile
Re: Your preferred option?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »
The crash under Gordon Brown was brought about by reckless gambling by the banks; the alternative to bailing them out would have been to let everyone lose their savings. He was praised by leaders of other countries for acting swiftly.
Don't see why Miliband should go if Labour doesn't get an overall majority but whatever is decided it will be by party members not the media.

therealjr

• View Profile
Re: Your preferred option?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
Actually as you proved last time it will be decided by union block votes (amusingly under a PR system that you don't want to extend to any other votes. Easy to use something when you guarantee the right results isn't it) oh and incidently Irn Bruwn and Teflon (with Mr Ed and Balls scuttling around in the background) had years in office to regulate those same bankers. They didn't because their popularity and re-elections chances were based on the buoyant economy that those same bankers were providing. When it went pear shaped it's easy to wash your hands of it and say it was those nasty bankers all along.
I'm not an Alcoholic. They go to meetings
I'm a drunk I go to the pub

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk