Author Topic: A little Walk  (Read 2506 times)

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
A little Walk
« on: January 18, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
We had a little walk yesterday, not far as the cold air aggravates my asthma.

First we had a look at the newest 'Rabbit warren' being built on Derby Road opposite the Royal Oak Pub Old Tupton.

They look quite close together, but what caught out attention was the metal/ concrete stilts they seem to be standing on, I'm supposing it's because the land is 'Marshy'?

The building came to a standstill for ages and I was told by one of the village historians that it was because right at the top there was a Quakers Grave Yard, we noticed that now there is a fence sectioning the top end of the land off.

Walking up to the top end of the lane I picked my way through the bracken to where the graves are supposed to be, unfortunately there is no indication of this, so I'm supposing the bracken has covered them over.
Would these graves be on old plans somewhere? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:31:07 PM by Old Cruser »
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
Re: A little Walk
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
The second part of our walk took us up the lane at the side of where they are building.

For the last few years we have wondered about  this lovely little bungalow.

As you can see it's boarded up now.
Had I been twenty years younger I would have seriously thought about taking this on. It's in a lovely corner spot with quite a bit of garden around it.

I picked my way round to the front where one of the boards in a window had been ripped out, it was really sad to see a glass cabinet with glasses still inside as well as an upturned sofa.

Someone loved this bungalow at one time.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
Not really nicheuk, but I love old buildings - especially bungalows and find this quite sad as we have watched it deteriorate over the last few years. having said that, the roof and our walls look good, but windows/doors etc rotten - great little bungalow for someone with some cash!!

Gerty Gumdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »
Great pictures OC.  The Quaker Graveyard sounds interesting.  If you find anything out please post  :)

The little bungalow looks a prime candidate for Homes Under The Hammer! 

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »
Great pictures OC.  The Quaker Graveyard sounds interesting.  If you find anything out please post  :)

The little bungalow looks a prime candidate for Homes Under The Hammer!

@ Gerty I am currently browsing this link ( below ) and have noticed the short reference to what maybe be the Quaker Burial Ground on page 10. I can only read for a short while as it gives me stag eye lol. It's interesting though. :)

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/planningdocuments/CM4-1014-79/sup-ES%20App%208%20Cultural%20Heritage.pdf

The sites of two possible Quaker burial grounds have been recorded within the study
area (MDR 12209) and (MDR 5152).

The former site of Tupton Hall (MDR 11230) and its grounds (MDR 12210) are located to
the northeast of the site. A second building that is recorded as once occupying a plot of
land to the southwest of the site is the Henmore Mill, used as a cornmill and watermill
(MDR 10561).

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
Cemetery?,
gravestone
Friends Burial Ground (site of), off Nethermoor Road, Old Tupton. Approximate site of a Quaker
burial ground named on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 although apparently already removed
by that time.
SK 3904
Postmedieval
Undesignated
MDR5152 Cemetery?,
gravestone
Alleged Quaker burial ground, Woodthorpe Hall, Clay Cross. Quaker gravestones that floored a
now demolished barn have been taken to indicate a burial ground but may in fact have been
brought from Old Tupton.
SK 3840

I've left these below on just out of interest

Postmedieval
Undesignated
MDR11347 Railway The North Midland Railway. Railway largely constructed between 1837 and 1838 and opened in
July 1840.
SK 39333
Postmedieval
Undesignated
MDR5128 Railway Stretton and Ashover Light Railway. Mid 20th century commercial narrow gauge passenger
railway.
SK 36 SE

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:38 PM »
If its marshy land, they have probably put piles in (no jokes please)
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »
If its marshy land, they have probably put piles in (no jokes please)

Don't know about putting 'piles' in Simon, but there appears to be a large amount of what looks like Polystyrene

simondjuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
Polystyrene could well be the insulation which goes between the exterior and interior walls
Im a bomb technician.  If you see me running, try and keep up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk