Author Topic: tax cuts for the rich  (Read 1134 times)

hifimad

• View Profile
tax cuts for the rich
« on: September 23, 2022, 02:13:05 PM »
So here we go again the last time a Tory government gave away such a huge amount of borrowed money was in the early 70s the results where catastrophic which caused inflation to top 25% and ultimately led to the crash of the early 80s precided over by Thatchers Government and we all know what that meant for the majority of the poorer people in this country.
The magority of the borrowed money will end up in the pockets of the richest 10% and when it inevitably all comes crashing down who will have to pay for it, this is an easy one the poor.
This goverment has been in power for tweve years and during that time to justify the austerity measures (which penalised the poor) caused by the banking crash we were bombarded whith tories telling us we cannot borrow our way out of problems, we have to live within our means, that fiscal Conservativism was the only way to stimulate the economy, and now we have this massive give away including letting bankers bonuses get out of control again, yes we will have a few years a mini boom but then it will be back cap in hand to the IMF for a bail out and another dacade at least for the country to pay for this folly, these Tories have wasted twelve long years telling us one medicine was good for us and now they want to change the prescription, this is a recipe for disaster and the only comfort i can take from this is i am now nearly seventy and by the time this proflagacy has to be paid for i shall most likely to be dead, i do not envy todays young people as they are going to be paying for this long after i have gone.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:15:14 PM by hifimad »

hifimad

• View Profile
Re: tax cuts for the rich
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 06:11:39 PM »
As if to prove my point about negative economic affects, the pound has crashed to its lowest level in the last 37 years which will cause imports to cost more on the world markets. this will also cause an increase in the cost of gas on world markets which will filter back to everyone but at least one section of the population will be able to aford it and that is the rich.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 11:50:51 AM »
That's the trouble with budgets, or mini budgets, however they put a spin on things at the end of the day the working public will end up getting the sh*tty end of the stick. They also phrase it in such a way as you almost feel grateful, take utility bills as a classic example, according to yesterdays mini budget no one will pay more than £2,500 for their bills {hurrah} instead of the forecast of £4,000 to £5,000 that was predicted, so everyone breathes a sigh of relief, yet you will STILL pay double what you paying now and it's too much already.

We have still to find out what they've been up to during the Queens funeral arrangements as it's well known Governments shove all sorts of laws and legislation's through whilst the countries back is turned.

When I was a teenager and reaching voting age I asked my dad his thoughts on voting and the government, this is all he told me:-
"I would chop my right arm off before I ever voted Tory" and his best one " The only good politician is a dead one, because any time of the night or day you know EXACTLY where they are and you know EXACTLY what they are doing.

This is why the last time I voted was in the early 70's, that's how far back I lost faith in our Governments.
I am not a pessimist, I just help them out when they're busy.

hifimad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 12:53:39 AM »
my foster dad always told me i have to vote as good people faught and died to get me the right to vote, i also think it should be compulsary to vote with one caveat, there should be a provision on the voting forms to abstain as we may not beleive any of the parties are any good i suspect that voters will send the parties a harsh message.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 11:57:37 AM »
my foster dad always told me i have to vote as good people faught and died to get me the right to vote, i also think it should be compulsary to vote with one caveat, there should be a provision on the voting forms to abstain as we may not beleive any of the parties are any good i suspect that voters will send the parties a harsh message.

Wise words indeed....
Although yes getting the right to vote was a battle and I am indeed grateful, but because I choose not to vote, as long as I stay on the register and there's nothing in the statute that {should} preclude me I can vote in the future if I so wish. Until compulsory voting is introduced this is how I "voice" my displeasure, this is how I abstain so all the parties after elections can gauge the mood of the people by the % turnout.

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
One thing that came out of this weeks Autumn statement {cum budget} and I wasn't aware of till it was announced was:-

Electric vehicles were exempt from road tax... WHY!!! who thought that bright idea up?
A car is a car is a car I don't care if it runs on candle wax and fairy dust if it's on the road it should pay the same as {everybody}else.

Alsatian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »
One thing that came out of this weeks Autumn statement {cum budget} and I wasn't aware of till it was announced was:-

Electric vehicles were exempt from road tax... WHY!!! who thought that bright idea up?
A car is a car is a car I don't care if it runs on candle wax and fairy dust if it's on the road it should pay the same as {everybody}else.

Neither did I and, like you, I cannot comprehend why. They still wear the roads like any other vehicle does.
Fertility Is Hereditary, Chances Are If Your Parents Didn't Have Children Neither Will You

Fly

• Administrator
  • ' 2E0IFY '
    • View Profile
    • Taximania
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 04:36:17 PM »
It's not a road tax anymore is it? It's based on emissions.
My little petrol engined 1300cc 4x4 is £265 a year. Apparently it's high in emissions.
Electric vehicle = £0. No emissions.
It's also got age of vehicle thrown in there somewhere.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 07:50:15 PM »
It's not a road tax anymore is it? It's based on emissions.
My little petrol engined 1300cc 4x4 is £265 a year. Apparently it's high in emissions.
Electric vehicle = £0. No emissions.
It's also got age of vehicle thrown in there somewhere.

I was going to say that I think irrespective of fuel and/or emissions if your not using Shanks's pony on the roads you should pay road tax.

Unfortunately it appears that no matter what amount of revenue is gathered from drivers we still have some of the worst roads in the world.
My small car has a small engine so I only pay £30 per year road tax, but I would gladly pay a bit more, as I suspect would others , if the government could guarantee the roads would vastly improve. 

Sorastro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 11:07:23 AM »

Apparently zero emission vehicles such as electric cars will start paying duty from 2025, but that's still well over two years away.
Still I suppose they had to start charging as petrol/diesel cars are being phased out it would have meant less and less revenue year on year.

Old Cruser

• Global Moderator
  • I want wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 04:26:08 PM »
Can I just say be very careful about buying an electric car unless you are sure that your drive will be suitable, I'm unsure if this applies to all homes but certainly council homes have strict regulations now about the drives - check before purchasing the car.
The old lady with the wonky middle finger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk